Free Shipping - Be Careful!

I want to let our community know that we need to be careful when making purchases and accepting “free shipping”.  Here is the story, I recently ordered a set of KT150s from TubeDepot. I was offered free shipping. I accepted it and wrongly assumed (mistake: never assume) that they would use a reliable shipping carrier to ship their expensive, fragile glass vacuum tubes. A reliable carrier to me, IMO and personal experience means either FedEx (my preference) OR UPS. Did TubeDepot do that? No! They shipped with USPS. The problem is that the tracking number isn’t working. Their is no documentation that USPS took possession of the package. While TubeDepot has a nicely written page describing USPS’ problems they still use them and this information is not readily available on their website. If I had this information at checkout I would have chosen FedEx and paid for it. I suggested to them that they should put a link to this information right on the checkout page where buyers are going to choose their shipping. I think this transparency would empower buyers to make an informed decision, take ownership of that decision, and save the vendor a lot of time with back and forth emails about where the product is and why the tracking isn’t working. Bottom line: free shipping may be bad shipping. Don’t blindly assume that the free shipping method is good. Ask the vendor who they use for free shipping before making your purchase and act accordingly. 
Ag insider logo xs@2xkingbarbuda
So they haven't arrived yet? If not, you're just concerned about the inability to track I guess. I have to say, you will likely get a lot of blow-back from people who have had bad experiences with FedEx too. I'm one of them.  
@roxy54 No they have not arrived yet. I understand what you are saying about FedEx. That is your experience. But it has not been mine. The essence of what I am saying is that vendors should be transparent as to who they use for free shipping. They could say instead of just “free shipping”. They should say something like “Free USPS first class shipping” or “Free USPS Priority Mail”. Also post a link to their very informative page about the issues with USPS. Just share the info in an open and transparent way. So WE have all the info and can make our OWN informed decision as to who we want to ship our package. Everyone should be free to make their choice. But vendors need to provide us with the info. If they don’t. Then we should ask for it.