PROTOTYPE FUSES - NEW THREAD

The prototype fuses are breaking in very nicely. Last night's listening session was something very special indeed.

The projected release date is mid-October.

Stay tuned for more information.  

Frank
128x128oregonpapa
I’m also speculating that this is a Ted prototype but it’s a win win situation either way. If this is not an SR product, that means we have at least 3 high quality competitors because I guarantee you Ted doesn’t want to lose market share and is furiously working on his own successor to the Orange.
willgolf ...

• "I still have the same question.  In your 5-hour marathon listening session, did you listen to the same songs with both the Orange and Yellow fuse."

Good question. The answer is no. There really wasn't any need.

All of the a/b/a/b comparisons between the SR Orange, the QSA Yellow, and the prototype fuses were done the other day with my friend Dave. Dave's conclusion was that the prototype fuses were at least equal to the PPT Gate in what they were doing for the system. Those fortunate enough to be using a "Gate" in their circuit breaker boxes know what kind of improvement these new prototype fuses offer. And for those who aren't aware ... The Gate retailed for $5000. 

The friend that was over yesterday for the five-hour session had the SR Orange fuses in his own system. He swapped them out for the QSA Yellow fuses, found them not musically satisfying, and went back to the SR Orange fuses.

I offered to do an a/b/a/b comparison between the QSA Yellow fuses, and the new prototype fuses and he declined. He knows my system very well. The last time he was over, I was running the SR Orange fuses. We used the prototype fuses all during the five-hour session yesterday, and he clearly heard the advantages of the prototypes over the SR Orange fuses. And considering his experience with his own system and the QSA fuses, what would be the point?

That five-hour session was all about the music and not about equipment or fuses. 

Frank

I did mean to say SUBJECTIVE listening impressions are not scientific in that they can can be influenced by placebo effect. Maybe it’s more accurate to say they are not CONCLUSIVE proof of anything. They would need to be paired with objective measurements and data.

So far no one has been able to describe to me exactly how a fuse affects the audio signal. The audio signal does not pass through the fuse.
elangley01.
For 75 years (-ish), science couldn’t figure out how bumblebees flew.
Yet flew they did.

I can’t explain how/why fuses change the sound.
But I can assure you that they do.

I used to be very skeptical of these kinds of things, because they didn’t really make sense, on a scientific level (and my low-level understanding of AC current). A fuse is there pretty much to be blown, as a safety device.

On a whim, and because it comes with a MONEY-BACK guarantee, I bought 2 SR Orange fuses for my (relatively) new-to-me Classe Amp and Preamp. I popped the first one into the preamp. (I was smart enough to change them one at a time, because I was going to get my money back if it didn’t make a difference!).

My mouth hung open.
I was astonished......to the point of being a bit flabbergasted.

After a couple of days, I popped the other fuse into the amp. Not as big of a difference, but I did hear a difference.

YMMV, and I can’t tell you how or why they make a difference, but in my system, they ABSOLUTELY make a difference. Not sure I would want to live without them moving forward. I have gone back and forth with stock fuses and the Orange ones (simple to change out on the back of the preamp and amp), and the difference is absolutely demonstrable.

I guess not everything is measurable.

Post removed