Critical listening and altered states

Ok, this is not a question about relaxing, but about listening to evaluate how the system (or a piece of gear is sounding).

What, in your experience, are the pluses and minuses of altering your state of mind for listening? This can include anything you've used to affect your everyday state of mind, from coffee, beer, scotch, tobacco, to much stronger — and psychoactive, dissociative — additives.

What do you gain by altering your consciousness in terms of what you notice, attend to, linger on, etc?
What causes more details to emerge?
What allows you to stick with a thread or, alternately, make new connections?

Or perhaps you like to keep all those things *out* of your listening; if that's you, please say a bit about why.

128x128hilde45
I stopped reading a few pages in, so forgive me if I repeat something someone else said. Chances are you've listened to your system in an unaltered state often enough. Furthermore, I'm almost sure most of us bought it that way. If it sounds extra groovy while you're buzzed, that's a wonderful bonus. The very reason you altered your state. The system didn't change, the music pleases you and you're happy, what's to wonder about?
Post removed 
I've always enjoyed music with good cannabis - used to do psychedelics and 'E' too a few decades ago. Now I hardly even drink anymore, but I always enjoy cannabis! Goes great with music, movies, telly, sports, etc etc. 
I recently bought a Raven Blackhawk. Some have complained about a transformer buzz. My goal tonight is to match that buzz.