Herron VTPH-2A vs Rogers PA-2 Phono Preamplifier

I know there are plenty of Herron VTPH-2A fans on this forum, and I also know that Herron has discontinued this model. Rogers reportedly benefits from tube rolling while the Herron is problematic to roll for better sound.

Sonically, how does the Herron compare to the Rogers?  
kennyc
I think my thinking is in line with MC's here.  There is no piece of audio gear that could not be picked apart by a hobbyist competent to read a schematic and understand the circuit.  Even those FETs could be substituted by a knowledgable engineer who can solder.  The diodes might be upgraded if they are not already Schottky types.  You could "upgrade" the resistors using nude Vishays, at $12 a pop.  Capacitors are always a target of the cognoscenti.  And yadayada. I've been down all of those roads myself, but I finally concluded that sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone.
I have the Herron and cannot see anything the least bit hard about tube rolling.

That's missing the message about the Herron.  What's hard is IMPROVING the sound of the Herron via tube rolling.  
" find out if I like a quality “tube” phono stage."

"If that's the case, expand your quest outside of made in USA gear and look at the the other players."

We vinyl lovers are truly blessed, as there is certainly no shortage of fantastic phono amps to choose from today :)  

If you are interested in a pure, all tube phono stage... I've really been enjoying my Wavestream Kinetics Deluxe Reference Level 5.1 phono amp.  This is the most recent and up to date version.

It is an all tube design currently using (2 x 12AX7, 4 x 6DJ8); with extremely low noise (I believe with the external power supply that the current Level 5.1 Reference now comes with) noise is below 1uV (one-millionth of a volt ); providing 3 front panel selectable inputs = two MC at 62 dB of gain (without the use of SUT’s or FETS) with a useful cartridge range of 0.2mV to 1.2mV and one MM output customizable to your desire (you are able to choose your MM gain or you can have 3 MC ); having both balanced and RCA inputs and outputs; adjustable loading available on the back panel via custom loading plugs; and an essentially flat RIAA EQ curve within one tenth of a dB (.1dB) from 3 Hz to 40 Khz. *** The above specs are from the best of my recollection - if you have interest, please consult with Scott Frankland to confirm. He is wonderful to communicate with. ***

It is very dynamic, both in the micro and macro sense, throughout the entire frequency range.  It produces rich harmonics that are exhilarating when listening to violin/cello/acoustic bass, both reed and brass instruments, vocals, etc... all without sounding syrupy.  It is extremely quite, plenty of gain and very pure sounding... due to not having to use any FET or Solid State devices, no need to use Step Up Transformers and their extra set of interconnects and connections or having to fight with hum issues.

It is a very well thought out design, by an extremely talented designer and a true gentleman who is absolutely fantastic to deal with, Mr Scott Frankland.  I feel very blessed to be able to have this piece in my system.  At $9K new, I feel it is an absolute steel.  Once in a very great while, you might see one come up for sale on the used market, but not very often.  I consider this to be a true testament to the greatness of this phono amp as people who own it, hang on to it.  It is not a "flavor of the month" type piece, but rather something that you cherish and would like to pass on to your children.

In any case, just another excellent option to be considered :)

Best wishes,
Don
That's missing the message about the Herron. What's hard is IMPROVING the sound of the Herron via tube rolling.

I know. When I say he uses quality tubes you attack me saying they are cheap and common. But then when I say they can be improved you attack me saying they are so good improvement is impossible. At least you are consistent. Unfortunately only in attacking me no matter what I say. There's no missing that message, that's for sure.
Those of us fortunate enough to own a Herron VTSP-2A don't have to worry what sounds best.  We just get to enjoy the best of vinyl without having to be concerned about a phono preamp.  

Roll all the tubes you want.  Argue FETs until you're deaf.  We'll just enjoy the music.