8-Tracks and Open-Reels: Who’s Got ‘Em and Whatcha Got?

Hi everyone,

I’m curious whether anyone here is into 8-track or open reel decks and if so, why. What decks do you have?

I really enjoy these old formats just because I find the mechanics of different formats really interesting. I also like to find newly released music that is exclusive to these formats (I think it’s a fun way to discover new music). I have a Pioneer H-R99 8-track deck, a Pioneer RT-707 open reel deck, and a Pioneer RT-909 open reel deck. I’ve found an independent record label that releases only on open-reel tape, and I’ve had luck in finding punk and even some vapor wave releases on 8-track.
What about you? Any love for these formats?
undefined
Party pooper..

4 track were better. :-)

The fun we use to have fixing them too. I got pretty good at it..
Winding the tape back in after untying the knot in your lap, while being DRUNK as a skunk..

The next day you listen to it and half way threw it starts playing backwards.. Drunk repairs back then weren't real reliable.. :-)

Regards
@oldhvymec:   Ahh the good old days when we could drink and fix anything--ok, maybe not well but make it work.  Up until about 10 years ago i kept a Realistic 8 track player in my system just because i had a bunch of 8 track tapes i liked--i disagree with MC that the sound quality was the worst--it wasn't nearly as bad as most cassettes--but i do agree the mechanism was a crazy hassle.  I still have two R to R decks--an Akai GX-265D and a Sony TC-880 which i sent in for refurbishment almost a year ago and still haven't got a due date--i loved R to R solely b/c i could record a vinyl album once and keep it pristine and play R to R endlessly at parties.  Convenience mostly- the TT was always the best.
Prerorded 8-Tracks were usually better than preecorded cassettes, for a while. Sometimes you got lucky. Homemade 8-tr's almost as good as homemade cassettes  8-tr carts had the same track width and twice the speed. Radio PSA's used to be on carts late 60's.
My cassette mix tapes from driving days sound pretty good in the workshop on $20 auto reverse double well decks.
Reel to reel's time has past. I have a wall of tapes and a BQ II 4 channel and a Teac.
@fuzztone Yep, still have about 100 mix tapes I made in the 70-80's on a Nak. with Maxell tapes. Still sound fine. A friend of mine used to make 8-track recordings, but finally gave up when he kept recording over the beginning of the tapes. Pre-recorded did sound better. Great for parties as they sounded better when everyone was wasted and would just repeat over and over. 
Post removed