8-Tracks and Open-Reels: Who’s Got ‘Em and Whatcha Got?

Hi everyone,

I’m curious whether anyone here is into 8-track or open reel decks and if so, why. What decks do you have?

I really enjoy these old formats just because I find the mechanics of different formats really interesting. I also like to find newly released music that is exclusive to these formats (I think it’s a fun way to discover new music). I have a Pioneer H-R99 8-track deck, a Pioneer RT-707 open reel deck, and a Pioneer RT-909 open reel deck. I’ve found an independent record label that releases only on open-reel tape, and I’ve had luck in finding punk and even some vapor wave releases on 8-track.
What about you? Any love for these formats?
undefined
8 track like 8 track? You mean the huge plastic cassette THING that gobbles tapes and the head stays dirty? NO THANKS. 4 track was better..

Reel to Reel, I like that... I use them.. Otari B2 IIM. With a decent preamp and a little fiddling.. Wonderful play back ability.. Material is always the issue and of course cost. You think you were buying by the ounce. 3 or 4 oz at a time too.  puff puff pass. :-)

Regards
have a peek at my systems page,

https://systems.audiogon.com/users/elliottbnewcombjr

you will see:

Two Teac X2000R Reel to Reels (1 music system, 1 office system). Despite higher S/N specs, the Pre-recorded 7-1/2 IPS 2 Track Stereo and 4 Track Stereo Tapes are the best source material I have. Many are 50-60 years old, and still sound terrific. Everyone always picks the Tape over the LP over the CD. I bought over 500, sold over 150, will sell some more when motivated.

and 8 Track (garage/shop system). A revolution of transportability at the time, but horrible sound quality, and horrible reliability. When cassettes were blowing 8 tracks out of the stores, I bought six 8 tracks for $5.00 every payday, (music/artists I would never risk real money on), thinking, when I retire.... surprise: the pressure pads self-dissolve, they suck.

and 4 Track Dual Cassette (garage/shop system). I have many tapes I made, so I keep it going for the rare nostalgic play. high quality tapes, darn good machine, they can sound very good, despite the 1-7/8 IPS and 1/8" wide tape/heads)

I work on the mechanics myself. I overhauled the two x2000’s and 3 X1000r’s (my 2 sons and spare I never sold). Prior to that I overhauled all 3 Teac styles: stainless face/wood ends; plastic face and case; aluminum face/plastic case/outer fake wood case.
Since the OP says he enjoys the mechanics-

8-track is so-called because there are 8 tracks of music. The tracks run side by side on the 1/4" wide tape, at 3 3/4 ips. The tape comes off the center of a single reel, moves across the tape head, and goes back onto the outside of the same reel.  

That's right. The tape is constantly sliding past itself.  

If that sounds bad, just wait, there’s more! To change tracks the tape head moves from one to another. Tape head alignment is important to fidelity, so you can imagine how well it works to be banging the heads around back and forth like this. The tape uses a foil strip to tell the machine when to move the head. Or you can move them any time you want, bang, bang, bang, bang goes the head.

Is it any wonder then that these things ate tapes and had all kinds of problems with sound quality? Horrible format. In 50 years audio has yet to come up with anything worse. They came close with the AVR, but the 8-track will always be the King of Crap.
About 20 years ago I picked up a nice Akai 4000ds Mk II.   Had a capable tech go over it, and he pronounced it to be a top working condition.  I've got +/- 100 prerecorded 4-track tapes, and I play a few of them from time to time - - in general, excellent sound.

8-track?  I bought some of those to play in my 1979 Honda Accord Hatchback, which came equipped with an 8-track player.  Hated it - - the "clicking" when the thing was operating (changing from one track to another?) drove me nuts. I made sure the next Honda had  a cassette player.