Streamer vs. new mac mini for 2 channel system

Hi audio friends,

I LOVE the functionality of my mac mini with my 2 channel system: Exasound 62e DAC, Modwright ls100 pre, Coda continuum 8 power amp and Wilson Sabrina speakers.  Being able to navigate with mouse and keyboard from my listening position is infinitely better than using a tablet or some mickey mouse app with my phone.  

The issue is the mac mini.  Clearly this is not the best transport, however I want to use my 2 channel system for more than just streaming roon.  I listen to soundcloud a lot to learn about new music and when I watch tv I want to utilize the stereo for netflix, crave etc.  My Dac has only 1 usb in and obviously an optical + s/pdif, but the fidelity is just not as good with the other inputs.  

I almost pulled the trigger on a Lumin U1 mini, but again I do not see how this transport will improve fidelity, without limiting overall functionality.  How do I bring a new mac mini to a place where it can compete with a dedicated transport like the lumin, or is this even a reasonable suggestion?  

Looking to optimize the system in the most efficient way.
Confused - any suggestions would be much appreciated.

cshadow
I had an iPad as my source going into my Schiit Yggy via an Audioquest Diamond usb.  Then balanced the rest of the way.

I got an Innuos Zen MK III on trial and was absolutely floored by the improvements in clarity, transparency and bass dynamics.

iPads and Mac mini’s are full of noise that screws up the SQ.  Find a dealer who will let you try out an Innuos or Lumin and, if the rest of your system is good enough, you should hear a dramatic difference too.

I’ve seen people put tons of money into trying to isolate their Macs and they still suck as a source IMO.
Today I am happy owning a dedicated streamer. It does want to do its firmware updates from time to time, but that’s it. It’s built-for-purpose and I don’t have to deal with the extraneous ’stuff’ of OS X.

Plenty of people on this site , me included, have gone from Mini to dedicated streamer as a progression. How many have gone the other way?

I’ve seen people put tons of money into trying to isolate their Macs and they still suck as a source IMO.
   I can't speak for other people but mine certainly sucked.

In his post, the OP wishes to access URL’s that are not available on dedicated streamers - such as Soundcloud. Yet, seeking to improve the SQ as much as possible - within those parameters.
For me the trade-off would probably have me use AirPlay or similar for 'streaming' that platform to my dedicated streamer.  Soundcloud appears to accept a wide variety of files; for lossy files my solution is better than for lossless. It would come down to how important a lossless non-supported platform was to me.
@mr_m
You got it right. AND a $100 worth of Ras Pi and a good DAC leaves leaves the BluNode behind.
At least I left mine. 
Paul McGowan uses a Mac because he’s an Apple head, he’s had it for years and there’s no money in cheap superior solutions.
Any one who thinks streamers are "big bucks" while Apple is not is non credible.
I was streaming music via Tidal and Qobuz while using my MacBook Pro as my ROON Core. And when I told my hi-fi guy that he asked if I was crazy, or did I just enjoy listening to music whose sound was exceedingly poor. So I bought a ROON Nucleus Rev B, put a 2TB storage card in it, and got an Sbooster 19v LPS to power it. The sound quality is really quite good. Now I can pick up my iPad or iPhone and play music anywhere in my house.