So where should the tubes be?

Source, preamp, dac, amp? Or should they be in as many components as possible? Does anyone subscribe to such a system where there are tubes everywhere?  Base answer on acceptance of tubes somewhere.
jpwarren58
op

Why do the number of tubes in a component vary so greatly?

function of the item and its design
More tubes = better sound for me. Components with tubes:
CD player, Preamp and its separate power supply (tube rectified), Monoblock Amps. Every component except my speakers and subwoofers.
For me it is easier to count where tubes are not.  Uhm, CD Transport, power conditioner. 
like so many things in life, more is not always better, in fact it is usually not

the right amount is the right amount

making who has the most tubes in their system, as if it were some kind of competition for the best system, is utterly ignorant and foolish
My use is at the pre amp. Can’t say if this is right wrong of best just what I am doing. I did read a few articles that stated they felt this was the best place to start. Also said with tubes in pre and ss at amps their is less chance for down time. If a tube goes out on your amp you are dead in the water. If a tube goes out in my pre amp I can by-pass tube stage and still keep rocking. Can’t say I will remain where I am for ever but happy with my sound for now. Enjoy the music any way you can get it.