So where should the tubes be?

Source, preamp, dac, amp? Or should they be in as many components as possible? Does anyone subscribe to such a system where there are tubes everywhere?  Base answer on acceptance of tubes somewhere.
jpwarren58
My phono preamps are all tubed, I own three...tavish, ear 834, and pro-ject tube box ds2.
Also, my border patrol dac has a tube rectifier in the power supply. My opinion is solid state amp, preferably pure class A, and a tubed phono preamp if your into vinyl. Otherwise, a tubed preamp. Pair all this with something along the lines of a wharfedale, harbeth, spendor, or tannoy speaker. To me, this combo works magic.
@tomic601   

Three Easy….he doesn’t know a FET is solid state

Even his beloved Herron phono stage has a FET-based MC gain stage.  It's a great phono no doubt but probably the least tubey one I've ever heard.  Amazingly the Herron still sounds like music even when playing MC carts!
few have tuners these days, but tube tuners are wonderful if you give them a strong enough signal.

good tube equipment is noise free, many accept a bit of noise, I encourage fixing or changing to have noise free tube equipment.

tube phono eq, like tube tuners, are wonderful.

my old 2 track stereo tape player’s heads relied on tape eq in the tube preamp. typically tube receivers, thus tube eq and tube amp. same warm involving non-fatiguing sound.

Now, 4 track Tape Deck includes internal SS tape eq, sends line level to tube amp.

any other line level source, into/thru a tube preamp (any preamp), is really a line switcher, and volume pot, which is why you want a tube amp for line level sources to hear tube sound for all sources. the tone controls, filters, ’loudness’ are all tube based of course.

try and find efficient speakers you love the sound of, thus keeping power requirements lower, thus less: heat; weight; cost; and more flexibility for placement. that makes it much easier to try tubes now, someday, many more choices in moderate power levels.

buy thee a simple tube tester, gives you answers, confidence in your tubes when/if problems occur
I was on another forum and a guy that identified himself as honcho at Bob Carver company stated that the place to start with tubes is the amplifier.  This was different than the opinions of many here that the preamp is the place to start with tubes.  

I don't like fiddly or expensive, so I decided to start with pre — awaiting receipt of a Schiit Freya now.  I will keep the SS preamp for variety and when the Freya is down temporary while I await tube replacement.