Thorens, TD-125 MKII

A friend is buying this old turntable in good condition.  He wants to know how this table would compare to a $1000 turntable produced today.  Any weak spots?  What cartridge under $700 would be best?  Pro? Cons?
normantaylor
Inspect the circuit boards.. Make sure everything works.. I've had a couple.. The caps will fail and the stupid motor will start up backwards too.. Thorens use one of two different motors. There is a third but you don't see it very often.

Add a knock kit to the motor if it needs it.. Belt, change the oil, change the gummy puffers in the springs.. Add a dampening kit. Total about 100-150, with new caps for the startup, and a couple other things..

111, 134, 135, 184 (?), 224, 124. Different motor, quite a bit bigger..

When they are serviced, they are as good as any quality TT out there.. Tonearm is optional.. 9 or 10" or a separate perch per tonearm..

126 that really had some issues if you weren't careful.. PC boards and green slime..

Regards
I bought a TD-125 Mk.2 new in '73. It was defective out of the box: bad electronics. I had it in the warranty station I don't know how many times, and finally sold it. Tell your friend to look for a VPI HW-19 Mk.2, 3, or 4. Much better table imo.