I feel bad for GenX'ers that missed out on the 60s and 70s.

I feel sad for GenX'ers and millennials that missed out on two of the greatest decades for music. The 60s and 70s. 

Our generation had Aretha Franklin, Etta James, James Brown, Beatles, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Joni Mitchell, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Jimi Hendrix, Donna Summer, Earth Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, The Kinks, The Stones, The Doors, Elton John, Velvet Underground and loads more

We saw these legends live during their peak, concert tickets were cheaper, music was the everything to youth culture, we actually brought album on a vinyl format (none of that crappy CDs or whatever the kids call it).

60s-70s were the greatest time to be a music fan.
michaelsherry59
There is a book out on Steve Goodman called "Facing the Music". Does anyone have it? There is a CD in the back with twenty some rare Goodman tracks. I did the CD for the author Clay Eals. He was in town a couple of years ago. He was invited to give a talk to a college class at Muhlenburg College. The professor is a friend of mine so I was invited to sit in on the talk. Now these two men are the epitome of the sixties. Intelligent, articulate and likeable. BUT, tried as they did to convey how good Steve Goodmans music is and why younger people need to hear it was LOST on the entire class. (Maybe 30 students). Some asked questions and tried to understand and appreciate what was said but there were no converts that day. It was an interesting hour however. Joe
I recently saw Janis Ian live on the first SNL ever. I highly recommend it.I was blown away at how powerful it was.

Where has that kind of songwriting and performing been for the last 50 years?

Poetry has been reduced to text messages.
I’m listening now to a stream of the Temptations’ "My Girl". It was "new music" when I first heard it in 1965, I was 13 years old. It meant little more to me then than a good dance/party tune. Cool tune, but, eh, no big deal. That is definitely NOT my experience with that song, or any of that music, today...steaming in 2021 from Tidal off my macbook to an iFi hip dac to my Grado Hemps (not my main setup..just working at the desk). Good God...I almost missed it then, and I was living in it. It just washed over me. But today, old salty dog that I am now, I can appreciate it’s art and it’s genius. I was too inexperienced back then to fully recognize it. And I certainly didn’t have the tech then I have now. I listened to that record on 45 rpm, spinning on my mom’s Sears/Roebuck turntable, embedded in a hulking piece of furniture. I’m not so sure if youngster’ have missed out, but I realize today I didn’t always know what gold I had in my hands back then either. Ah..the paradox of finally figuring it out, but nearer the end of everything. Thank God for these recordings...in whatever decent format they can be found. I use them all, but prefer vinyl, though I’m not hung-up on which format is best. Just listening to all that wonderful genius again, appreciating it. Bliss.
I'm 70 years old and as far as I'm concerned, there's been plenty of wonderful music that I love and plenty of rubbish in any decade you care to mention. If I start going on about how 'today's music is no good', please remind me not to be my parents. 
Yes I was born in jan 1952...my grandfather always had the radio on.There was always music in my house.My uncle used to tape American band stand after school it was on every week day,and he had a Reel to Reel.My Stepfather had a nice Rca stereo ,then have it to my grandfather and he bought a Motorola  stereo with reverb.OMG the Beatles in Reverb,Four Seasons ,Stones.He used to play it for hours on Sat and Sunday mornings,.Bway show songs ,Dean Martin ,Nacy Wilson, Nate King Cole.I wasn't aloud to play  at it ,but when he went out lol...my music played.I remember going to a neighbors house and seeing his AR speaker a amp and tuner ,reel to reel and turn table ,man it was crazy nice...That got me from high school until now I have been buying audio equipment. But ,going to concerts were so cheap 4 or 5 bucks .I lived in Astoria, Queens NY ,right over the bridge to Manhattan. There was music played live every where.What ever you wanted Classical,jazz,rock of soul.To be a teenager in the 60s,and 70s was Great.