CD Quality Versus Streaming Quality

I realize this will be a contentious subject, and far be it from me to challenge any of the many expert opinions on this forum, but if I may offer my feedback vis-a-vis what I am hearing, and gain some knowledge in the process.

i will begin saying that my digital front end setup is not state of the art, but i have had the good fortune to listen to a number of really high-end systems. I guess the number one deficit in my digital front end is a streamer server, and no question about it that will improve the sound.

My CD player is a universal player; Pioneer BDP-09fd. It uses Wolfson DACs. It has been modified to a degree. I have bought and sold other players, but kept this one, because it has a beautiful sound that serves the music well.

Recently, i ventured over to my son’s place and we hooked up my player (he doesn’t have one and rely’s on streaming only) We compared tracks / albums of CD quality and master quality streamed on Tidal with ‘redbook’ CDs I have. For example, some Lee Ritenaur CDs and some Indian classical and the wonderful Mozart and Chopin.
His system is highly resolving.

we were both very surprised to find the CDs played on the player to be the better sound. And not just by a little. The sound was clearly superior, with higher resolution and definition, spatial ques, much better and clearer imaging. Very surprising indeed. Shouldn’t there be no difference? This would suggest the streaming service is throttling the bandwidth or compressing the signal?

i am most interested to hear others’ observations, and suggestions as to why this might be? I do love the convenience aspect of streaming, but it IS expensive for a chap like me of fairly modest means. The Tidal HiFi topline service is $30 per month I believe, something the good lady is not too thrilled about. God forbid I should suggest Roon on top of that I may likely get my walking papers. I jest, but only partially LoL. My point is, if I pay this sort of money, isn’t it fair to expect sound to equal the digital stream from the CD player and silver disc?
Thoughts?

AK

4afsanakhan
I’m one of those tone deaf doofuses who actually often prefers streamed versions of selections over my original

Actually compression is good for that, it’s also done purposely with the higher end earing aids.

Cheers George
Listened to some CDs last night on the Oppo UDP-203. It has AKM ‘Velvet’ DACs as opposed to the UDP-205’s ESS Sabre DACs. Its interesting how they sound different. The 205 sounds a bit more detailed in the higher frequencies. The 203 has a really lovely sound. Those AKM DACs have a certain ‘give’, a certain very slight pillowy softness that makes the sound so listenable and enjoyable. 
Streaming has its place. But I still think, for many recordings - not all, that CDs sound great.
Actually compression is good for that, it’s also done purposely with the higher end earing aids.

Somewhere along the way I read that the FCC, wise to what's being done, actually regulates the amount of compression radio stations can use.
Quote RIAA…..Facebook

‘Ive got 6 or 7 Oppo’s. Ive heard em as is...not even close..not even in the same state let alone the same ballpark. Wish I had your ears cause I would save a ton of cash. Sucks to be me!! Good for you thou...Congrats’

Then dear sir, I am very glad I do not have your ‘golden ears’ for I do not have a ton of cash to spend on more and more gear. These poor ears will have to be content and make do. My son’s system give’s me insight to ‘high-end’ sound.

By the way, the Oppo’s you have, do they include the UDP-203 or UDP-205? With these last models, Oppo poured all of their know-how and technical expertise in what they knew to be their farewell product; their swansong. I believe they wanted to show the world just how good they could make these pieces. The UDP-203 sold for a mere $600, a laughable sum considering just how good it sounds, and the technology and quality built into it. Same for the 205. Do they have the shiny jewelry billet aluminium casework of far more expensive fare. No. But they are beautiful in the fashion of ‘pure form follows function’
Fm stations purposely compress signal so they don't overmodulate and interfere with adjoining stations. All likely do it to some extent. I know some college and classical stations are at lower end of fm frequency spectrum, sometimes they can compress less as fewer stations at those fm freq. I believe commercial stations battle to get middle fm freq so you hit them as you go up and down dial. Then you need to consider the equipment they use to play the music. But why would anyone use fm for serious listening sessions, generally I want to control the music, although I let Roon radio take over sometimes.