I feel bad for GenX'ers that missed out on the 60s and 70s.

I feel sad for GenX'ers and millennials that missed out on two of the greatest decades for music. The 60s and 70s. 

Our generation had Aretha Franklin, Etta James, James Brown, Beatles, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Joni Mitchell, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Jimi Hendrix, Donna Summer, Earth Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, The Kinks, The Stones, The Doors, Elton John, Velvet Underground and loads more

We saw these legends live during their peak, concert tickets were cheaper, music was the everything to youth culture, we actually brought album on a vinyl format (none of that crappy CDs or whatever the kids call it).

60s-70s were the greatest time to be a music fan.
michaelsherry59
I would read your post to my 15-year-old, but then I would have to hide the fact that I’m spending time on here. He would laugh at who you are and how you sound, but then I would be embarrassed to be affiliated with a group that has such low standards for admission and protects those that serve hot garbage in flaming dumpsters as a substitute for meaningful discourse. 
Post removed 
I was being too hard on the 1980’s. That decade was filled with great music continuing to be made by artists and bands who had emerged during the 70’s---Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, Ry Cooder, Richard Thompson, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Loudon Wainwright !!!, Marshall Crenshaw, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Petty and Springsteen (assuming of course one likes them), REO Speedwagon (just kidding ;-), plenty of others. Not a good decade for Dylan though.

But the decade also witnessed the emergence of a bunch of great new artists, including Los Lobos, John Hiatt, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, The Pretenders (a good live band. I saw them on their first USA tour at The Palomino!), Lucinda Williams, Dwight Yoakam, The Blasters, The Long Ryders, Prince, U2, Dire Straits, REM, The Bangles (surprisingly good live), The Replacements, Journey (just kidding ;-). Not bad!
IMHO this is a rather strange thread. Good music is good music regardless of genre. There is plenty of good music created today. The main problem is there is way more garbage. You use to have to be good to get a record contract. Now anybody with a computer and an ego can pump out files of rubbish. But then you have Arctic Monkeys, Fiona Apple, Haley Williams, Jack White and many more. 
My kids grew up listening to a vast collection of music. I turned them on to all the older music, they turn me on to new music I did not trip over myself. My kids also listen to Beethoven and Brahms. But the vast masses just listen to the popular music of the day as it has always been.
Urg….. please, do not weep for me. As a former record store owner and musician I missed nothing. In fact I can do you one better- I can cherry pick only what I like as an outsider. I am so happy that punk rolled in and washed all that hippy BS down the tubes where most of it belonged.
Ill take the MC5 , Stooges, Radio Birdman, NY Dolls, Heartbreakers, Ramones,Dr. Feelgood etc. over any patchouli drenched love and flowers. Rock and roll is blue collar and should stay that way. FTW