Sopra 2 Bass

New member, first post, and newbie in terms of diving into the world of nice things. This world is insane! I've already been spiraling for a few months researching what to buy, AB'ing countless speakers and amps. I now own a McIntosh MA9000 that's driving my new Focal Sopra N2s via Kimber 12VS. My "dilemma" is with the lack of BASS. I demoed the N2s, so I know it's possible, but absent in my home. I have to use the tone controls (this is where you tear me apart) to bump the low end. I do not know if it's my room, lack of bass traps, or equipment, but I'm failing to get down a little lower without tone adjustments. I stream Tidal Masters to my wired Bluesound NODE 2i (optical to the MA9000 dac). My room is 11'x20.5' with a low, 7.5' ceiling. I have tried as many speaker positions as possible with little change. I already know I need to eliminate room echo in the center of the room and have been researching various acoustic treatments. I feel like I'm off to a good start, but now stuck, not totally satisfied. Yes, it's the best I've ever owned and mind-blowing amazing, emotional, etc, but just short of perfect for me. In tracks where I expect a punch, I get an unmoving transition... Can I get "there" with different wire? Should I consider a sub? Why do folks on this site use two subs? Do I need to hire someone to properly sound-treat the room? Is my room a lost cause for what I own? Reaching out because I'm stuck, afraid to waste money chasing dead ends. My budget is thin after the McIntosh and Focals. Any help would be so appreciated! I hope to learn, grow and pay it forward some day. Thank you.
128x128izjjzi
izjjzi,
I own the Sopra 2’s. They don’t have subwoofer type bass but they do bass pretty well.
It may be true about the low impedance that was mentioned, but I don’t think it is much different than most other speakers.

Placing the speakers closer to the back wall will increase the bass but it will be lousy sounding bass.

Try to bring the front panel of the speaker 1/3 out into the room. (about 7’ based on your measurements). And sit another 7 feet back from the speakers, which leaves approx. 7’ behind you.

Then try moving the speakers from the side walls inward to see if you can lock in the bass.

Again, you should get very satisfying bass this way but if you want more or deeper bass, subs may be the way to go. 2 subs are generally better than one because it moves the bass more evenly throughout the room.

ozzy
@izjjzi, you have a great foundation don't change or spend money on any thing other than room treatments.  Also don't be ashamed of tone controls....good to see them making their way back into some great gear. 

Can you put a pic in your "virtual system" so we can see what we're working with?   This site really needs an update from the 1990's, but that's another story.  
If your speakers are brand new, you may find that the woofer suspension needs to some playing time to loosen up to achieve their expected bass response. If they have plenty of hours already, subs are an option.