Tube Preamp - What to buy?

Looking to take my first venture into the tube world and going with a tube preamp.  My budget is up to $2500 and willing to buy used or new however realize with my budget that used is probably a better path. I would like to have a built-in MM phone stage.  I am use to having a remote and tone controls, so that would be nice however not a necessity.  

For further information my speakers are Revel Performa3 F206 and the current amp(s) is Conrad Johnson SA-250 and I also have a Rotel RB1552.  I many be looking for an amp upgrade in the future, but one thing at a time. 

So far I have been looking at used Audio Research and Conrad Johnson preamps but very open to opinions on brand and model.  Thanks and I look forward to your opinions and experiences.  
speter04
in budget, right up your alley, includes Phono and remote, how nice that is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124788183810?hash=item1d0df49302:g:x4sAAOSwkaVg15if

seller says no returns, but you can buy the square trade 1 yr warranty, and you are always covered by eBay/Paypal, no risk really.

IMO, given the speaker’s 88 sensitivity, start with Tube Preamp into your existing amps, then get ready for either more efficient speakers for future tube amps, or bigger tube amps for those speakers, and who knows what other speakers in the future.
I recently had a loaner c-j PV5 while my preamp was in the shop and I was shocked and how good it sounded. I think for more of a tube sound look at some of the older c-j preamps in the PV series.
Try the Vincent Audio PHO 701 or Pro-Ject Tube box. They will save you money to upgrade your power amp. 
Recently went back to tube mono blocks and tubed preamp.  I can honestly say that I find the Rogue Audio RP-1 to be quite amazing for its price.  Variable loading for the phono cartridge and it sounds very good, plenty of inputs and dual preamp outs, remote and the tube options are plentiful should one wish to roll for flavoring.

I've had plenty of pieces over the years and the RP-1 strikes a chord with me like the Krell KSP-7b did moons ago,  Find it extremely enjoyable to listen to for hours at a time.  Worth some research since it falls well under your budget.