Full Range Drivers

I was wondering who has heard them and if so, what is or was your take on them compared to full range speakers.
donjr
What do I think of full range drivers? I have one in my car sounds pleasant but not sound like live music! Enjoy ☺️
Think about this' Full symphony orchestra. 
See pic below
https://www.google.com/search?q=picture+of++the+vienna+symphony+orchestra&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUK...
All those FULL  MIDRANGE instruments,, all trying to work their fq's through a  tiny 1 inch hole.
Ridiculous

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=367:e0011-06-t25cf002&ca...

Dome tweeters are a   failure when it comes to large chamber through full symphony orchestra. 

Its like asking a   90 lb  weaking to take on a  Herculean task
Ridiculous

Wide band is the only driver up to this Herculean challenge. 
Horns  would be the only other option. 
tweeters reproduce over 2khz. they are not fullrange.
2khz to 20khz, listen to your orchestra with a highpass at 2khz.

murphythecat
174 posts
07-01-2021 5:41pm
tweeters reproduce over 2khz. they are not fullrange.
2khz to 20khz, listen to your orchestra with a highpass at 2khz.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes i stand corrected. 
The Seas Excel W18E001's, are voicing the 40hz-2khz. 
humm, 
Ok well then what we have is the W18;s not being sensitive enough for my preference. 87db is not going to cut it. 
The Millennium is not going to cut the grade either at 87db. 
Both have incredible clarity, its just that you have to set gain vol knob on the Linestage Jadis DPL at 10 oclock, to try to compensate for low efficiency.
Now the tweeter starts stressing out with massive volume when orchestra is in full bloom,. 
OK now we are GETTING somewhere.
The W18E001's can easily handle the 40hz-2K hz with pure musicality. 
Check.
It is the Seas Millennium that gets  stressed out, 
hummmm, 
Thing is there is alot of symphonic fq's in the 2k-6k range.
hummm, 
Solution.
Employ wide band, 8 inch cone.
Check.
Will be a  real bad shootout twix the '
W18E001's vs the wide band in the bass department. 
 have no issues keeping the W18E001's running with the 8 wide band, As the bass in this driver is 1st class. 
And if I need more, I could sell off the 2 pairs of W18's, now 20 yrs old, perform as *New*. and take that cash , buy a  pair of W22 Graphene, use same Mundorf Supreme cap xover. 
If the wide band has all the bass i need/want, the Seas will have to go. 
sadly, as i really love that driver. 
But there is a new  gun on the block, and we will see how this shootout comes off. 
The Millenniums are long gone. Using a  wide band 4 inch + horn tweeter in place of Millennium. 
much better mids.
W18 kicks in at 800hz. 
87db is what we call 
Inefficient. 
91db + = efficient.
91db is the bottom # to be included in the Efficient camp. 
90db = In-efficient camp. 
We need parimeters  and define  tech gargon so we are all on the same page. 
The wide band comming out of china , you need to deduct 2db off the specs. They are cheating, bumping the number up to entice sales.
At times even more than 2db cheat.
The AMT's I got the other day, claimed 97db, 
More like 91 db. or even lower. 
had my tech geek test them on his gadget. 

I was wondering who has heard them and if so, what is or was your take on them compared to full range speakers.donjr01-19-2010 3:13pm~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You see, back in 2010, some of us could not figure out what these **odd things* were, How did these *most unusual* drivers sound, vs Full Range/3 way, speakers sound. 

Even as of 2018, I had no idea these ,,or lets say I completely forgot about Fostex/Lowther. 
But in 2019, some wide bands offered on Ebay caught my attention. 
Hummm they sure look cool, different from what I  know as a  **speaker*
Just 1  driver?? hummm, How?
I bet the majority of Audiogon members have not even heard a  newer wide band driver as yet.
See the only way to  take the curiosity  a  step further, that  of  real interest, ,  is to open up  access to a  demo of these *out of  the ordinary* speakers.
Otherwise wide band will never become more than they ALWAYS have  been,  a  curiosity. 

My awareness, is now elevated,  now  I am fully aware.
These things are not meant for curiosity only.
these things actually work. 
They can make music, and make music as something unique and special. 
Unlike you've ever heard music in the past. 
Wide band is the future. 
This realiztion  will take some time. 
The next gen of audiophiles will be more awake to these musical marvels. 
We live in a  super high tech world , where new, newer, newest has over taken older designs, year in , year out.
Why should this NEW-ness not become a  part of our audiophile hobby?
Why should we ignore the New if indeed  the tech  does prove itself to be superior?? To the old tech.

Thats at least how i see things. xovers = old, if not out dated technology. Useful at times, but not as a  complete *full range*. A dome tweeter (= old tech) will not ever compete with a  new tech wide band in fq's 2k-15k+hz's. 

Wide band, new high tech has over come all the weaknesses   in our tweeters. 
Lets not kid ourselves. tweeters served their purpose, we had some great music from these little marvels over the past 50 years, ]
Its high time we move on now, and starting thinking outside our boxes.

The real test comes in the midrange, here is where xovers /3 way's will fail vs a  high tech wide band.