Buying used: how old is too old?

All,

Considering buying some used speakers from a well established company, e.g., Wilson, Focal, B&W, etc.

Aside from obvious technology updates, do speakers have a shelf life? If so is this measured in overall life, or number of hours played?

I’ve read some reviews that some speakers can really improve with age, no doubt longevity is going to be influenced by speaker drivers. Perhaps paper breaks down before other materials—I don’t know.

Old flagships can be bought for a fraction of their original cost and less than new mid-level speakers. No break in needed! But maybe they would be broken down?

I’m sure there have been numerous threads on this topic, but I didn’t find much in my search and am also interested in any recent experience on the topic.

Would be really interested to hear thoughts, opinions, and experience with this.

Thanks!
w123ale
Bought late model mint shape infinity IRS Beta’s and vintage very high end powerful amplification. Speakers have changed but insanely good from the past Is still fantastic even by today’s Standard. All the fairy dust and novelties will not take modern low end and make it anything but that. A lot of BS out there, ask PS Audio to put Tekton Moabs in their sound room…. Delusional 
I have a pair of Polk Model 10's from 1979. I remember the day I bought them. They haven't, to my knowledge, degraded yet. Maybe if I could A/B them with a pair of new Polk Model 10's (impossible), I would hear a difference. The world will never know.
The driver manufacturer Accuton says their speakers are designed and engineered for a lifespan long enough to be enjoyed by your grandchildren. 
jnovack, i still have my polk model 10s as well-damn things are indestructible and may still be the best speaker for drunkenly listening to 80s guitar rock at too high a volume.
Recently bought a pair of Revel Ultima Studios for what I consider to be a good deal. Luckily the guy was local so I could hear them before I bought.

They are absolutely fantastic sounding. 

Good thing too, since I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get them back up the basement stairs.