Best speaker in the $5-10K range. Details below.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I am a long time member but first time poster. I have a speaker budget of ~$5k. I could stretch it if needed to 8-9 if necessary and 10 MAYBE.

My room is 16'x18' with 10' ceilings. I am currently using Usher 6311's with a JL Audio f112. I am enjoying the sound I have but would like to upgrade. Using a Metrum DAC, Dodd Battery preamp and AMB labs balanced B22 amp (30-50 wpc).

I would like to upgrade my speakers but I do not have the time or opportunity to audition speakers at hifi dealers.

Based upon reading mags, web searches, etc. I have come up with some considerations. Speakers that might fit my requirements include Legacy Classic HD, Salk HT3, VMPS RM 30, Usher Mini Dancer 2 dmd, Magnepan 3.7, and Von Schweikert 35. I am not limiting my search to these and would greatly appreciate any experience, suggestions etc. to help me out.

Musical preferences include mostly rock/classic rock. jazz, and occasionally classical. Thanks again.

Regards,
jjr
joe2687
At the upper end of your budget is the Daedalus speakers. I auditioned some in my home a few years back and really loved them.
I second Daedalus. Not sure what the current pricing is, but I suspect that the smaller models (the DA-RMa and Athena) would fit into the upper end of your budget range.

Daedalus offers 30-day in-home audition privileges, less two-way shipping and a $200 re-stocking fee.

They represent a load that is very easily driven, with benign impedance characteristics, high sensitivity, and the ability to handle high power levels, all of that resulting in exceptional versatility with respect to amplifier selection. In terms of power requirements they would be a fine match for your amplifier. They are widely admired by those familiar with them for the naturalness of their presentation.

And Lou Hinkley, Mr. Daedalus Audio, is one of the genuine good guys among audio manufacturers.

http://daedalusaudio.com/

I have no affiliation, other than as a very satisfied owner of the larger Ulysses model.

Regards,
-- Al
I agree with Al that Daedalus should be on your list, since their business model fits your circumstances. The monitor hits your price point, could probably play your pretty big room, and in my hearing, gives up surprisingly little to the big Ulysses. The sound, I think, tends to the laid back -- definitely mot brittle or fatiguing. As a bonus, drool worthy box work.

John
My humble thoughts are following:
1. $200 restocking + 2-way shipping could sum up for descent pair of monitor speakers. For these money you can travel to audition which may turn out to inflict some travel attractions by the way.
2. Even your Bella Extreame 100wpc amp would not be enough for some of the models you've listed(Mag 3.7, Legacy,
Von S.., VMPS love 200wpc+ amps) so the amp may be on your list of quests added as well.
If you can not go out I suggest looking on audiogon finding loudspeakers that are of interest. Buy them if not your cup of tea resell. It can be a cost effective way of hearing many loudspeakers in your home with your system.