How to fix my preamp dilemma

My NAD integrated succumbed to old age and I found a Parasound Zamp3/Zpre2 combo on Ebay and pulled the trigger. Even this expenditure was somewhat controversial in my marital landscape, some people just don't understand audio fidelity doesn't grow on trees! For <$400, I couldn't have been happier, everything was great......but 8 months in the preamp started switching between channels and has a loud humming noise that seems like it's coming from the transformer, it powers on but is unresponsive.

From here I could use some advice from the knowledgeable, I'm not sure fixing the Zpre2 is money well spent, my first inclination was to find a used Zpre3, but there aren't any around. What seems more attainable at a reasonable price is a used Schiit Saga+, or an oldler Adcom, is it a bad idea to jump ship to another manufacturer given that the Zamp/Zpre are likely designed to function together?
sturdy
For the kind of system mentioned above, the Parasound is a waste. I voted for repairing the Parasound, but in my opinion you could use anything...
Given you are on a tight budget, I am working to solve your problem on a strict budget so you get your music (also video?) back until you have the funds to upgrade. My approach would be to buy a budget DAC and a passive preamp. 

I was thinking that you could run digital out of your TV into the DAC then thru a passive preamp into the amplifier. 

Hence the questions. 
There is a Schiit Audio Modi optical input DAC for sale on Ebay. Current bid is $40 and 10$ shipping. Would make for a true improvement over the TV optical output if that is what it has. 
Post removed 
@mesch I’m away from home at the moment, but I remember the analog connection from the tv end looking more like a headphone jack than a digital output. Are passive preamps considerably cheaper than active ones? Sounds like possibly I’ve been neglecting my source material by not having it run through a dac