Arrangement of components on rack

Now and again -- though not often enough, probably -- I spend some time unhooking and unplugging everything in my system, dusting the works, and then setting it all back up again. Makes me feel better, and it seems that the simple act of unplugging and then reattaching cables and power cords etc. improves the sound, too -- if only in my mind.

As I'm getting ready to do that now, I just had a thought: Is there a generally accepted arrangement for components sharing a rack? What I mean is: Are there components that ought be placed close together and those that should be better spaced out? My power amp sits between my speakers, with the rest of the gear over on the side wall.

I've got a turntable, so that takes care of what goes on the top shelf. The other components: A preamp, a separate phono preamp, a CD transport and DAC in one box, a Bluesound Node streamer.

With all else equal, should, say, the phono preamp and the preamp be near each other? Far apart? does it not matter? I've generally just kind of plunked things down and gone from there -- and haven't experienced too much trouble -- though some years back when I had the preamp (the main one, not the phono pre) up close to the turntable I had a bit of hum, so put the preamp on the bottom shelf and have continued to do so.

Still, as I got to wondering and am set to get to work on this soonish, I thought I'd ask if there's a generally accepted way of arranging things.

Thanks very much.

-- Howard

hodu
Four things that I try to be mindful off in arranging components.

1. Turntable on top and away from transformers or any component that can contribute EMF or noise, such as power supplies or power conditioners, to very low level components such as cartridge.  
2.  Phono pre-amp as far away as possible from any transformers or noise inducing components.
3.  enough space in the rack for adequate heat dissipation.
4.  arrangements such that the interconnect cables are as short as possible.  

enjoy

Wow-a! So many fascinating responses. And here I'd thought I'd asked a simple question. Never on Audiogon! Thanks so much to all.
-- Howard

@mc
Pandemic purchasing. There is no other explanation. I didn’t ever see myself becoming an impulse buyer and in that first six months of staying trapped at home I went nuts. 
Started with replacing a 25 year old set of unimpressive floor standers to all new components, speakers, stands, wall treatment; you get the idea. Only after, once I emerged from under a pile of cardboard, did I become acutely aware of my new addiction. I made mistakes. 
Your response makes perfect sense for minimizing the pile of cords and interconnects I now own. If only AG forum was discovered before the rabbit hole. 
The music has never sounded better though.