Bluesound Node 2 vs. Node 2i

I started the weekend being perfectly happy with my digital setup

I read the specs when the 2i was released and it appeared that the only thing that had changes was the dual band wifi and the Incorporation of the "Apple ecosystem"

Since I did not need to make use of either of these features I didn't bother looking into it any further.

Then I saw some comments posted on Agon detailing some other differences and they got me thinking there may be more to the 2i than I originally thought...
- first the incorporation of the new Wifi chipset allowed the design team to reorganize the circuit board such that the Wifi chipset has less impact on the rest of the circuit
- the second thing I read was that the DAC chipset had been improved.

Both of these changes triggered my upgrade-itis and so I trolled down to my local Bluesound dealer and bought one.

Setting up the unit was basically - plug it in and let it do it's thing
- it upgrades the software immediately, which took about 15 minutes
- it kept all of my existing playlists and presets
- I use Ethernet, so there was no need for any Wifi setup

So what did I hear...
- IMAGE: noticeably larger with better separation between instruments and artists and more space around artists
- DYNAMICS: crisper and cleaner
- CLARITY: you'll hear vocal phrasings and instrument details that were not as apparent with the Node 2
- DETAILS: there is more detail to the top end and the bass lines convey more texture. The mid's are noticeably more realistic
- REALISM: pretty much every track I have listened to so far now appears more realistic. You really get to hear just how good the sound engineer is at his job in studio recorded tracks and tracks recorded on location convey the delicate nuances of the venue acoustics (i.e. echoes and reverberations)

Now I don't know what they put in their "Wheaties" at Bluesound, but one thing for sure - their crew knows how to upgrade!

This was in some ways a little unexpected and a surprisingly good upgrade experience. 

But given the impact using good cables had on the performance of the original Node 2, I suppose it gave me the confidence to try the Node 2i - and I'm really glad I did :-)

Hope you find my observations useful :-)

Regards - Steve

williewonka
When you say they updated their DAC and you hear a big difference.  Well they didn't upgrade their DAC.  

If you think the only thing that matters is the actual conversion chipset, you have a lot to learn.  
I searched this discussion with some interest, because I have a Node 2 and a Node 2i, and I go back and forth to compare them regularly. I am like Steve -- I have listened to my system for years, and can hear small differences immediately. I also agree with the descriptions of the 2i here -- the top end is more defined, clearer, vocals are more "up" in the mix, so words can be heard easily, the bass is more solid, the stereo image is broader....and yet.....and yet....there are a few things, for me , the Node 2 does better. It's all about differences in the midrange. The Node 2 seems to bring forward some essential instruments in the mix that should be heard as part of the arrangement. The detail is not up to the 2i, but the overall coherence of the sound seems better. It is not just a bunch of parts, but things fall together nicely on the Node 2. I notice the reduced crispness, greater roundness, of the treble, and for my older ears, it actually sounds better. There are times on the 2i where sudden harshness jumps out, but it is smoothed on the Node 2. I love the bass impact and clarity on the 2i though -- a definite plus.

So, for me, it is a difficult trade-off, and what sounds better depends on the type of music and the recording.

Zack