Has Anyone Ever Run TWO Identical Pairs of Speakers ?

I’m considering buying an extra pair of tower speakers identical to the ones I currently own. I would wire them as 4 ohm speakers powered by about 250wpc,

Each set of two speakers would be placed next to each other so there would be 2 identical left channel speakers and 2 identical right channel speakers, with each pair separated by about 1/2.” 
My listening chair chair can be as close as 8’ from the “center” of the speakers to as far back as 20’ from the “center” of the speakers.

And the actual distance between these two seperate pairs of speakers could range from 6’ from each pair to as much as 18’ for each pair. I would of course spend a great deal of time ‘dialing” them in for the best sound.

Has anyone ever tried this, and what were your results?

I’d appreciate your collective informed thoughts.

128x128vinyl_rules
#2 stacked Large Advents!

I had one speaker upside down so the tweeters of both speakers were in the middle.

I had two pair of Magnepan MG-1s back in the late 70's. This was before I understood about imaging. The two pair could play a bit louder with a bit more bass energy, but otherwise I think a single pair sounded better. 
I will have to reiterate some of the things I have said on another thread about playing multiple speakers stacked, or side by side.

I do not recommend it, at all.

When multiple drivers, that aren’t specifically designed to play at the same frequencies, there are quite a few (mostly negative) results that occur.

For example, the distance between the center of the tweeters and the mids, along with the crossover, are very important. If they are too far apart, vertical dispersion goes to hell. Get just a few inches off (higher or lower) of the axis of the tweeter, and highs will roll off.

If the baffle of the cabinet is too wide, horizontal dispersion goes to hell. You get things like baffle step loss, and poor horizontal dispersion in general.

Now, put 2 of the same speaker side by side, and you’ve just doubled the baffle width. The extra tweeters will not correct this problem. In fact, the extra tweeters will cause other problems, i.e., unpredictable lobing, with unpredictable cancelations.

And this is only some of the problems with the tweeters. The mids are likely to have similar problems, with interference patterns causing cancelations, or boosting in frequency response.

There will also be phase problems at the crossover points. I'm sure some of the many speaker design gurus in this site will be able to list other problems.

And who knows what the effects will be with speaker boundary interference response? This is how the speaker interacts with the room they are in. This is already problem enough with one pair of speakers, add to that problem, all the other problems, and I can’t imagine getting a reasonably flat frequency response, correct dispersion, etc.

I’ll bet money, that whatever imaging and soundstage one pair of your speakers are capable of, will pretty much be vastly worse with 2 pairs, stacked or side by side.

Of course, bass will increase, but this may not be an entirely good thing.