New ebay payments require SS#?

I received an email from ebay and they now will deposit your amount from a sale directly into your bank account.  So, they require your routing and account numbers.  But they also required my SS number, which I'm not sure I like.  They say the purpose is to comply with government regulations.  Is there any reason to think they would transmit the amount of your sales to the irs and issue you a 1099?  I only occasionally sell used items on ebay and don't consider any amount I receive to be taxable income.  Thoughts? 
mtrot
I go to work and earn money, the government takes a portion of my money for taxes.

I then buy something with that already taxed money and get taxed on my purchase.

Why is me selling that Item, that I paid tax on, with money I earned that was already taxed, taxable income when I sell it? Pay pal already does this now.

It's outrageous. We need to find another trust worthy method to pay each other here on Agon.
How about USPS money order or cashiers check? Don't ship until they clear. Cash for items that are picked up, like Craig's List.
They already send 1099 out. I’ve been getting them for at least 5 years or so now. Even when they put the sale money into PayPal. Also, yes it is counted as income and so you will have to have your tax guy try and bring down the numbers. A good way is to say its a business and take any and all deductions etc. It sucks. This is one reason I am just hanging on to stuff. It is not worth it now to sell on Ebay or here. Sell it locally as someone said.
Sounds like an indirect phishing scam even if it is truly eBay. The compliance costs, safeguarding information alone will be a massive cost increase to companies like eBay. Wait until they have a major breach with information that can empty your bank account. I would never provide bank account#, routing# and SS#. Expect to get screwed by a merchant somewhere just as much as if you sent it to the Nigerian “diplomat” that has money they can’t access overseas and they need your help getting it out for a finders fee. They just need the same information from you. “eBay” and anyone can ask for that information as much as they want, but I’ll take my business elsewhere!
They have asked me for the same information saying that if I don't comply I may lose my rights to sell on ebay. I refuse to comply and I am going to cancel my account. FYI I just recently had a sale the buyer paid using their new system and they will not release the funds until I give them the information.  Not Happening too much scamming going on with ebay. 

Chuck