Keeping backup equipment?

I recently had to send my amplifier in For service. In its place I picked up a used Schiit Vidar to tide me over. 
So now that I have my main amplifier back and it seems to back to making me happy I’m wondering if I should keep the Schiit or sell it. On one hand it makes sense to have a backup ready to go, on the other my main amp has
been flawless for several years. So it sort of seems a waste and maybe someone, like me, may need one on the cheap.

so for those running separates, do you have backups stored away for emergency’s?
gochurchgo
I think I usually tried to keep a small number of backup components which could work their way into an office system... a break in system. It’s a question of balance. But using for trade in is a great way of giving your dealer a way of discounting the piece you want to buy. This way he can show the manufacturer that he changed you full price, but give you a great deal by paying you too much for the trade in. 
I like to have a backup for certain components on hand.  I don't like to be without music at home, so if my integrated amp or my phono stage were to give out, I would need to start shopping (not a bad thing, of course).  But I keep a (B-stock) Yamaha A-S701 and a Schiit Mani on hand as backups.  They also serve as a good basis for comparison to whatever gear I have in my main setup.  

In addition, I try to keep my stereo spending as close to budget neutral as possible, so I sometimes sell something before deciding what to purchase to replace it.  With the backup gear, I can keep the music playing and take my time to make a good decision and find a good deal on the next component.
I keep some older components as backups. I hold on to any component that won't make much money when resold
Right now I have four amps that I upgraded stacked in my back room.

Doesn't hurt to keep something around just in case. Doing some spring cleaning, I came across an older Teac CD player (half width model) that I thought had a channel go out and when I tried it out, the sound was very impressive and almost to the level of my Marantz SA15S2b SACD player. 
Nice to know if the Marantz goes sideways.

All the best,
Nonoise
I eould keep spares for investigative AND backup purposes. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. Sell the Vidar and replace it with a cheaper one to reclaim a small sum.
But...  
If your main amp failed could you live with it?