Technics SL1000 MK3 (SP10 MK3) performance/value VS modern turntables?

I have a Technics SL1000 MK3 in beautiful condition and in it's lifetime has seen very little use.
I am ready to send it off for complete electronics restoration/upgrade, upgrade the speed control processor module and have the Krebs mods done.  Will cost about $2500.00 to have all this done.

I was wondering how this would compare to what is out there for modern turntables after all the work is done? 
Or, would I be better off selling it, and adding what I was going to spend for the upgrades to a new turntable?
I believe these should sell in untouched condition for at least $5K?  So that would put me in the $7.5K range for a modern table?

For tonearms, I already have:
New, unmounted Moerch DP8
Fidelity Research FR64S, in beautiful condition that I sent off to Ikeda/Japan and they re-wired (better silver wiring, I still have original wires) and completely tore it down and rebuilt/re-lubed.... it's just like a new FR64S.

I think this table would be hard to beat at the $7500.00 price point, but would appreciate others opinion.

Rick

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrich121
rich121

I was wondering how this would compare to what is out there for modern turntables after all the work is done? 

Any well sorted, restored and serviced Technics Sp10Mk3, in the proper plinth, will very favorably compete with and in many (if not most) instances readily beat modern turntables at this price. 

Or, would I be better off selling it, and adding what I was going to spend for the upgrades to a new turntable?

For $7.5k brand new, I doubt any brand new turntable which retails at this level could compare favorably.  If investing say $13k - $15k on something used you can likely find other decks offering different "flavors" but in certain areas the Mk3 may still prove rather difficult to beat.  If you do keep the Technics, then a properly implemented plinth is mandatory, as the stock SH series obsidian plinth simply does not allow this direct drive design to perform as well as it is capable of.    

Fidelity Research FR64S, in beautiful condition that I sent off to Ikeda/Japan and they re-wired (better silver wiring, I still have original wires) and completely tore it down and rebuilt/re-lubed.... it's just like a new FR64S.

The FR64s is a legendary tonearm design, you should be very happy with this choice.  The Moerch DP8........well, that one is an entirely another story.  IMO, for €4,2k you can certainly do much better. 

dover

If Technics SP10 owners are contemplating the krebsupgrade they should be aware that there are legal exclusions of liability for any breakages incurred during the modification and that the modifications are irreversible. I also see that no measurements or objective tests have been provided to support the krebsupgrade claims.
Over the past decade, I’ve owned differently implemented Technics Sp10Mk3’s from completely stock form, to one with a cld Panzerholz plinth to a Dobbins direct mount and Artisan Fidelity NGS and none have had this specific modification done. The permanent nature of this procedure involving oil(y) substances applied to the internals meant a firm no-go for me.  I listened to a for all intents and purposes stock Sp10Mk3 as well before and after this mod at a friends place as well which did not change or alter my opinion on the matter. 
Chakster
Or you can send to our JP Jones for inspection if you want to make sure about condition of the electronics.

Not sure why do you think you need Kreb’s mod for mk3? It’s amazing turntable without any mods!

One of the best turntables ever. Even if you will spend up to $60k I doubt it will be any better.

As for the new one you have to check Technics SP-10R (and its retail).

Agreed with this posters sentiments.  Btw, a new Technics Sp10R runs about $11k without a plinth. 
rich121

Very curious what platter mat recommendations you have for the MK3?

You also might wish to try one of the following platter mats as well.  I have both of these presently and they are really quite superb.   

Micro Seiki CU-180 (Gunmetal alloy - vintage)
Artisan Fidelity (Pure Copper)

atmasphere
I think the SP10MkIII is better than the new 10R because it has so much more torque. But a good deal of that was so it could be used for LP mastering and I suspect that was not their goal with the newer version.

I agree this is a critical part of the equation.  Many more differences exist between these models though than just the torque output which affect playback. 
Micro CU-500 was incredible on my ex Technics SP-10 mkII
Now I'm using CU-180 on my Luxman PD-444 and I have this spare set (CU180 + ST20 in mint condition). This is definitely the best mat, so rare and hard to find in perfect condition.