Audeze vs. HIFIMan vs. ??

Hello all, I'm in the market for a set of open-back over the ear headphones. My current price range is $800-1200 or so. I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 PROs but while comfortable, leave a bit to be desired in sound quality. I think some of their deficiency has to with the fact that they are close-backed. It's not like they're horrible but as with most things audio, there's always better. <g>

I like the idea of planar magnetics vs. traditional drivers. They strike me as being "electrostatic-like" without the added complexity of having to energize stators.

I've been seeing the brands mentioned above and would be interested in hearing people's, preferably current owners, opinion of them.

Thank you in advance. Happy Listening.
128x128musicfan2349
Quad They know a little bit about ESL. If you can stay in one place gotta be Stax
@fuzztone you raise a good point. This isn't for portable use. I have a beyerdynamic A20 headphone amp currently but may upgrade eventually.
If you check out HiFiMan, they often run good prices on their clearance items directly from their online store.