Best Bang for your Buck DAC ?

I just realized I’m in the market for a DAC , I don’t want to spend a fortune on a DAC either . I picked up a drangonfly cobalt a while back and am unimpressed  so I moved it to my CPU and sounds really good on my system there which when I bought it figured I would do anyway since it was my first DAC purchase . There are so many DACs I have no clue , how high up on the returns chart can I go at say $1,000 before I run into heavy Diminished returns resistance. I’m open to buying used . I was thinking about a Schitt made in the states ? Anyone’s take on best bang for buck DACs? 
ngiordano
Seems to me you first need to clarify what type of sound you're after. Do you favor resolution? Neutrality? Musicality? I'd suggest you find a way to demo a few different DACs in your system before settling on anything. The differences can be fairly dramatic. 
Jjss49

I appreciated your informative post about the rme and musical paradise DACs.

Can you please share what preamp, amp, and speakers you were using?

Thanks for listening.

Dsper
@dsper

iirc - last spring when i was playing with the rme (before i sold it to a friend and hp listener), my setup was bluesound node 2i or innuos zen mini 3 as streamers, linestages c-j et5 or carver lightstar passive reference into hegel h20 ss or audio research vt100-2 tube amps driving proac response d30r or harbeth shl5+
I am in the market for a dac. I am focused with two. The Schiit Bifrost or the Denafrips Ares as it both conforms to my budget. Any suggestions from experienced folks would be appreciated. I have a Rotel CD14 CD player and even with the wolfson internal dac, it sounds unengaging. I would like to liven it up with no coloration. Just straight up livelier music. I am using the Rotel with a Hegel H90 and Sonus Faber Concertino home speakers. Again, thank you for your valuable suggestions.
A good used Jolida tube dac or a Eastern Electric dac. I had a Jolida dac but now I'm using a Eastern Electric dac. Yes Jolida has two tubes and the Eastern Electric has one or can switch to a soild state output also.