The Absurdity of it All

50-60-70 year old ears stating with certainty that what they hear is proof positive of the efficacy of analog, uber-cables, tweaks...name your favorite latest and greatest audio "advancement." How many rock concerts under the bridge? Did we ever wear ear protection with our chain saws? Believe what you will, but hearing degrades with age and use and abuse. To pontificate authority while relying on damaged goods is akin to the 65 year old golfer believing his new $300 putter is going to improve his game. And his game MAY get better, but it is the belief that matters. Everything matters, but the brain matters the most.
jpwarren58
 Few points:

First, your general point -- "dogmatism is bad" -- seems easy to grant. To that I would only add, "Mean people suck."

Second, people who have learned to listen may have more to say than people who haven't, regardless of age. I used to think that if I was having a problem with my computer, I could just ask any nearby teenager or twenty-something. Turns out, most of them don't know how these things work, either. Find someone who knows, and age is irrelevant. Indeed, people using computers longer know more because you had to do more to get them to work, early on.

Third, if my hearing is that of a 50-something, why wouldn't I want the advice of someone in my generation, with a roughly commensurate hearing ability? We don't ask kids about the taste of wine because their taste buds are not in the same state as ours, and their preferences are wildly different.
Well OP I took care of my ears. Every concert (well over 150) I wore ear protection if it was needed.. The last 50 - 60 I went to they were pretty small venues, WITHOUT a lot of LOUD!!! I still kept plug in my pocket.. 

A lot of my counterparts (mechanics) didn't take care of there ears... BAD buddy.. A lot of the engine guys like me are just DEAF.. I always used plugs and muffs.. Always..  You actually got sent home if you were caught being a dumbass. Not protecting your ears..

The secondary stuff cinched it for a lot, drag racing, hot rodding bikes, loud music, WEAPONS fire (huge one) not supervised (no muffs).

BASSHEADS for get it, I wouldn't hire one.. PERIOD To dumb to protect your ears.. Dummy... No I ain't laughing.. DUMMY!!!!

I've see KID almost pass out in "The Breach" A bass chamber I built.. 
DUMMIES!! LOL
Saying we trust our ears and you should do the same is not a lack of humility nor is it dogma. At any age.
People need to have their hearing tested and measured and report the certified results here. Then one can rightfully claim golden ears and tell others what they may be missing. Any age. Until then.....

In all seriousness, an old guy is way way way more unlikely to hear what a young guy hears.   That folks is a scientifically  established fact.  Those are so inconvenient sometimes!    So just take that into consideration when advising others. Maybe that’s why its mostly all old guys in the club here.
More to discover