Best Bang for your Buck DAC ?

I just realized I’m in the market for a DAC , I don’t want to spend a fortune on a DAC either . I picked up a drangonfly cobalt a while back and am unimpressed  so I moved it to my CPU and sounds really good on my system there which when I bought it figured I would do anyway since it was my first DAC purchase . There are so many DACs I have no clue , how high up on the returns chart can I go at say $1,000 before I run into heavy Diminished returns resistance. I’m open to buying used . I was thinking about a Schitt made in the states ? Anyone’s take on best bang for buck DACs? 
ngiordano
Bought an SMSL M-400 for about $810 and it is amazing!  
It doesn't sound as good as my Chord Hugh TT2 but it comes pretty close in many respects and costs a fraction of the price.
I also own and agree with you on the Audioquest Dragon.

The SHD Studio is a digital front end - streamer, DSP headphone amp, input selector - NO DAC.

George  
I don't need to read those reviews. 
Or reread them.
I only reported a NON reviewers experience.
I also highly recommend the Black Ice Audio FX Tube DAC.  On sale at times for $699 I was skeptical how good it could be atbthat price point but wow it sounds really good.  I liked the fact it used 2 12ax7’s and has built in wifi. Performs way above it price point.  https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/black-ice-audio
Man that's a hard question without knowing what you want soundwise. If you want a safe bet DAC without a "flavor" per se, a used Benchmark DAC 2 or 3 would be a good starting point.