What do we hear when we change the direction of a wire?

Douglas Self wrote a devastating article about audio anomalies back in 1988. With all the necessary knowledge and measuring tools, he did not detect any supposedly audible changes in the electrical signal. Self and his colleagues were sure that they had proved the absence of anomalies in audio, but over the past 30 years, audio anomalies have not disappeared anywhere, at the same time the authority of science in the field of audio has increasingly become questioned. It's hard to believe, but science still cannot clearly answer the question of what electricity is and what sound is! (see article by A.J.Essien).

For your information: to make sure that no potentially audible changes in the electrical signal occur when we apply any "audio magic" to our gear, no super equipment is needed. The smallest step-change in amplitude that can be detected by ear is about 0.3dB for a pure tone. In more realistic situations it is 0.5 to 1.0dB'". This is about a 10% change. (Harris J.D.). At medium volume, the voltage amplitude at the output of the amplifier is approximately 10 volts, which means that the smallest audible difference in sound will be noticeable when the output voltage changes to 1 volt. Such an error is impossible not to notice even using a conventional voltmeter, but Self and his colleagues performed much more accurate measurements, including ones made directly on the music signal using Baxandall subtraction technique - they found no error even at this highest level.

As a result, we are faced with an apparently unsolvable problem: those of us who do not hear the sound of wires, relying on the authority of scientists, claim that audio anomalies are BS. However, people who confidently perceive this component of sound are forced to make another, the only possible conclusion in this situation: the electrical and acoustic signals contain some additional signal(s) that are still unknown to science, and which we perceive with a certain sixth sense.

If there are no electrical changes in the signal, then there are no acoustic changes, respectively, hearing does not participate in the perception of anomalies. What other options can there be?

Regards.
anton_stepichev
There is really only be one reason for an interconnect to be directional and that is when the shielding is connected to one end of the cable.
Thank God GAS passes one direction, you'd be smellin' your own FARTS.. Cable is the same way.. But that gas may have come out of your ears, for all I know. Maybe you do have a gas problem.. I know your full of,  well let's just call it misinformation.. BUT it's actually $hit..

You two stick around, for 10 more minutes and READ. Instead of talk..

Please don't show you're complete dummies..

Again Semi-Regard.. I'll give you a 6 out of 10 on the regard scale..
The only people I know of who run wires in reverse do so in the basements of churches. Apparently, they hear some pretty dark stuff...

I find the idea of listening to an entire spool of wire a very interesting idea. Always appreciated/enjoyed calculus. The whole idea of what happens when you look at something at its infinite limit. Is it zero, one or infinity.

At some point, at some length, if that wire was polled out all in the same direction during manufacturing process, it becomes a little easier to grasp how directionality becomes something that would be readily identifiable.

Would be very interested in doing that experiment. Also curious how that spool effects the SQ - being that a spool is an inductor?

Look what happens moving speakers a few inches in any direction in your room. Run a 50hz tone through them, walk around and note where the signal drops out, becomes a droning mess or is crystal clear. Move the speakers a few inches, try it again. It makes a difference.

I listen to the radio - a lot. Some days, the signal is so clear I absolutely love listening to the SQ coming out of my tuner. Other days, there is so much static and noise its just an exercise in frustration. And then, if the muting is on, walking around the room will make the signal appear and disappear.

Everything has an impact on how something sounds. And not everything that has an impact on SQ can be measured. Roller blocks under gear for example. What is the measurement there?

Why do certain tubes sound the way they do? Same tube type, different manufacturer, same measurements, different SQ.

It ain’t magic, although it might as well be given how some NEED the measurements on anything in order for it to be real.

Could be, some systems, and the rooms they are in are just not conducive to being able to hear any differences this small - they get lost in the noise of the space. Or, the listener is unable to discern any difference, either because of physical limitations, lack of knowing what to listen for or some other reason. Look at people trying to taste the difference between wines. Some don’t get it at all. Some sommeliers are sooooo good, and have studied so much that they can identify the sub region where a wine came from and when it was produced.
If I go into space, I would like it to be bi-directional.

Well, after reading this thread, I have second thoughts.
Some don’t get it at all. Some sommeliers are sooooo good, and have studied so much that they can identify the sub region where a wine came from and when it was produced.
What is surprizing is not what any humans can or could develop in the mastery of their own powers, sensation/perception, intuition, imagination, thinking concentration etc.... What is surprizing is the way some trust only their religious belief....

Guess which is the name of this new religion?

It is not protestantism, Islam or orthodoxy or buddhism, no, this religion is the new one , the idolatry of technology and the confusion of the map with reality and now worst, the replacing of reality by animated maps....Walking idols like those of Boston dynamics....

It make me sad that some will name "luddite" someone who vouch for science over running technology, and not the opposite....Science is NOT only physics or biology by the way, it is way more complex and vast that this TV simplification....

In the long history of science we are at the borderline where the worker want to be the master.....Technology cannot by itself be the savior....It is a part of the problem when profit run the game ...

Any civilized society must invest most of his eggs in the basket of education.... Where else?

But we are not civilized, we never have been, we are powerful savage manipulated by hubris....

After Shakespeare, Goethe in his Faust and in his general works, take a deep look in the modern hubris at a level never renewed perhaps since....

But who understand Goethe? It is an obsolete poet for most....Few people know that Goethe was also a great scientist...

Like Archimedes who waited more than one millenia to be understood by Newton and Leibnitz...

This new religion i speak about is incompatible with Goethe thinking.....