Best Bang for your Buck DAC ?

I just realized I’m in the market for a DAC , I don’t want to spend a fortune on a DAC either . I picked up a drangonfly cobalt a while back and am unimpressed  so I moved it to my CPU and sounds really good on my system there which when I bought it figured I would do anyway since it was my first DAC purchase . There are so many DACs I have no clue , how high up on the returns chart can I go at say $1,000 before I run into heavy Diminished returns resistance. I’m open to buying used . I was thinking about a Schitt made in the states ? Anyone’s take on best bang for buck DACs? 
ngiordano
I'm in a similar position (budget-wise) and, after much research, recently  replaced a 20+ year old Muse Model Two DAC with a Denafrips Ares II for around $750.00. 

I don't know enough to debate the procs and cons of R2R vs. other designs, but I've been pleased with the performance,  sound, and overall build quality.  I'm a tube guy - and I don't find the sound overly clinical.

Only drawback:  They're tough to find used - which may tell you something.

My .02.  As always, YMMV.

Terry
Schitt Bifrost 2. XLR and totally modular, so updatable in the future. Multibit sounds great and has a remote that allows you to change phase from your chair (something I am finding quite useful, shame so many recordings are in the wrong absolute phase).

I have the the first version (with Multibit, but not Unison USB) and it is definitely better than my Red DragonFly.
@ngiordano at your price point I'd recommend the following options in addition to what others have suggested. Some are over $1000 but you may be able to find them below $1000 used. They all sound different from each other, so it will come down to personal preference.

• Soekris 1421 or 2541 (R2R design)
  • RME ADI-2 (AKM-based, DSP)
  • Prism Sound Callia (CS4398-based)
  • Neko Audio D100 Mk2 (transformer-coupled passive output)
  • miniDSP SHD Studio (AKM-based, DSP + Dirac)
  • Benchmark DAC2 or DAC3 (ESS-based)
The Soekris 2541 has balanced XLR outputs.
op

$800-1000 is a good cost range to spend for getting very very nice sound from a dac

it is good spot to be on the ’value curve’ for those seeking to maximize performance for $ outlay imho

going up from there further sound improvement certainly exists but becomes rather subtle and nuanced, and would best be appreciated on fairly expensive systems playing its output

don’t forget to get a good streamer too, don’t just run the digital feed out of a computer