Best Bang for your Buck DAC ?

I just realized I’m in the market for a DAC , I don’t want to spend a fortune on a DAC either . I picked up a drangonfly cobalt a while back and am unimpressed  so I moved it to my CPU and sounds really good on my system there which when I bought it figured I would do anyway since it was my first DAC purchase . There are so many DACs I have no clue , how high up on the returns chart can I go at say $1,000 before I run into heavy Diminished returns resistance. I’m open to buying used . I was thinking about a Schitt made in the states ? Anyone’s take on best bang for buck DACs? 
ngiordano
I'm in a similar position (budget-wise) and, after much research, recently  replaced a 20+ year old Muse Model Two DAC with a Denafrips Ares II for around $750.00. 

I don't know enough to debate the procs and cons of R2R vs. other designs, but I've been pleased with the performance,  sound, and overall build quality.  I'm a tube guy - and I don't find the sound overly clinical.

Only drawback:  They're tough to find used - which may tell you something.

My .02.  As always, YMMV.

Terry
Schitt Bifrost 2. XLR and totally modular, so updatable in the future. Multibit sounds great and has a remote that allows you to change phase from your chair (something I am finding quite useful, shame so many recordings are in the wrong absolute phase).

I have the the first version (with Multibit, but not Unison USB) and it is definitely better than my Red DragonFly.
@ngiordano at your price point I'd recommend the following options in addition to what others have suggested. Some are over $1000 but you may be able to find them below $1000 used. They all sound different from each other, so it will come down to personal preference.

• Soekris 1421 or 2541 (R2R design)
  • RME ADI-2 (AKM-based, DSP)
  • Prism Sound Callia (CS4398-based)
  • Neko Audio D100 Mk2 (transformer-coupled passive output)
  • miniDSP SHD Studio (AKM-based, DSP + Dirac)
  • Benchmark DAC2 or DAC3 (ESS-based)
The Soekris 2541 has balanced XLR outputs.