Looking for a turntable around $1k...

I don’t and won’t have tons of $ to throw into an analog set up. I’m primarily digital and CD but I still have enough recordings that are vinyl only as well as others of sentimental value that I listen to regularly enough  that I can justify getting a decent turntable, at least at the price point I set. I know that some people have expensive opinions about turntables, but I can’t go there. 

My listening set up is a Schiit Mani phono preamp, a Decware Torii MkIV amplifier, and Omega 6.5” Alnico Junior XRS speakers if that all matters.

I’ve been using a Technics AT-LP120 for years and I have come to hate it. The tone arm is floppy and it has become pretty much impossible to lower the needle without it bouncing off the record. If someone down the block sneezes, the record skips. No matter where I place the table. Everything about it has gotten worse and I fear that the turntable is damaging my records at this point.

I’ve been considering the Rega Planar 3 but do I even need that?

Is there a sleeper turntable around $1k that I don’t know about?

Could I just get by with a Planar 1 or 2 given that vinyl is what I listen to 3rd most behind HD streaming and CD?

pip_helix
I agree with chakster, at this budget new.. would be the best choice for the money. 

Pioneer PLX 1000 or Technics SL 1500C or 1200 MK7.

"That plx 1000 has proven to be junk...."

...until you try it.
practical point of view as well.. the easier the operation, setting the easier to hit optimum. and also learn the most how to be a better turntable user. as tt is complex but becomes easier when parameter easy and consistent to control. 

too fancy or too simple. I seen people go round and round. even very experienced users.

I use 2nd hand hi end dd which, but again I am able to restore to good conditions.. otherwise it's also useless. I have many choices.. 124 125 thorens lenco garrard. better? maybe. but very difficult to restore and mess it up. doesn't mean it's worse than DD.. just much more difficult and can get very expensive and end up with mediocre or incorrect  sound.is common. some experience from our group of players. better buy new, suits the usage. end up cheaper. 

Technics SL-1500C, direct drive, absolutely perfect for around $1k.
No messing with belts and pulleys.

I have a Linn LP12 which I am thinking of retiring and switching to the above Technics....

I’m wondering why the Teac TN-4D Direct Drive hasn’t been mentioned.
$700 on Music Direct. Would leave room for a pretty sweet cartridge.

Seriously considering it as the specs appear to equally compare with Technics.