My NAD 3020 D proves your Class D tropes are wrong

I have a desktop integrated, the NAD 3020D which I use with custom near field monitors. It is being fed by Roon via a Squeezebox Touch and coaxial digital.

It is 5 years old and it sounds great. None of the standard myths of bad Class D sound exist here. It may lack the tube like liquid midrange of my Luxman, or the warmth of my prior Parasound but no one in this forum could hear it and go "aha, Class D!!" by itself, except maybe by the absolute lack of noise even when 3’ away from the speakers.

I’m not going to argue that this is the greatest amp ever, or that it is even a standout desktop integrated. All I am saying is that the stories about how bad Class D is compared to linear amps have been outdated for ages.

Great to see new development with GaN based Class D amps, great to see Technics using DSP feed-forward designs to overcome minor limitations in impedance matching and Atmasphere’s work on reducing measurable distortion as well but OMG stop with the "Class D was awful until just now" threads as it ignores about 30 years of steady research and innovation.
erik_squires
I live in the Caribbean and my main, bedroom and desktop systems are all class D.  Only my two Marantz AVRs are class AB.  I've never ventured into class A because it's simply too hot here. Air Conditioning is expensive, thanks to the exorbitant power costs.  As class D tech evolves I keep upgrading. I'm anxiously waiting on my latest; a Purifi amp that will replace a PeachTree IcePower based integrated.  
I have auditioned an NAD c298 which uses purifi tech. I had this powering a set of martin logan 60xti. I was using my naim uniti atom as a preamp. They sounded really really good. I tried doing side by side comparisons with the naim uniti itself powering the speakers. This isn't a fair comparison as the atom is only 40 wpc. However, playing both at high (Not ear splitting) levels I was able to detect a subtle difference. I could be biased as I do love the naim sound. However, I found the NAD to be a bit too clinical in its presentation compared to the naim which was more lively and easy to listen to although not overly warm. The NAD was VERY clean but almost to a fault. I did use TIDAL. I do think class D is the future whereas class A and AB have kind of hit a wall as far as growth and expansion. Class D still has room to grow. 
Snapsc, hear...hear, I agree with you Tommy produces the best amps for my Magnepans and Martin Logans.  My first purchase was a used 4800A.  It was incredible good imho.  Next was a King Maraschino, used.  Then another King Maraschino direct from DAC, my last purchase was a King DTM.  They continue to be the best amps I've listened to.

I have 3 MTX Soundcraftsman S800 that the fan noise was too loud, for me.  I have 2 JBL Synthesis S800's and 2 Acurus 2003's.  They sit in another room gathering dust.  All of the above amps are rated at 200wpc, yet I do not listen that loud.  I listen to the music.  The DAC amps get out of the way, no annoying this or that.  

Tommy O'brien's amps are engineered by him, not pre made modules.  Erik give a DAC amp a try.  There has to be a reason they are hard to find on the used market.  My first good amp was the Acoustic Research Integrated back in 1973, then a Harmon Kardon Citation 12, many brands later, the DAC amps are my go to.  To me it is always which combination of speaker and amp pleases the ear of the beholder.