Chord DACs .. who has moved across to them from R-2R based DACs ?

It seems that Chord DACs are becoming very popular - I’m looking to try the Chord Qutest at some point but wonder if anyone here has moved across to Chord from so called "musical" R-2R DACs like the following:
  • SW1X
  • Schiit
  • Audio Note
  • Lampizator
  • Mojo Audio

Thanks
chopandchange
It’s funny how much of a the grass is always greener on the other side proposition audio can be. I have a Chord Qutest that I think is great, but I’ve become increasingly curious about R2R DACs. It’s hard to know until you hear for yourself.

It’s probably just a matter of time before I give in. The question is whether to budget for what should be an upgrade, like a Sonnet Morpheus or Aqua La Voce, or to be more cautious and try a Schiit Bifrost2 or MHDT Orchid to simply get a feel for the difference and what is possible. I just hope I don’t end up a hoarder.
In delta sigma dacs clocking is all important, especially if you upsample. Adding a 10m clock (Mutec, Cybershaft, Sotm, Esoteric, Antelope, SRI) produces a quantum leap in spacial resolution while at the same time dealing with harsh treble and overly resolved presentation. Through the asynchronous USB connection, slaving the server has additional benefits. The clocks are very sensitive to power and BNC cables.
@PaulCreed,

What kind of improvements did you see adding the Teddy LPS to the RME? I am considering one of these or one from small green computer which are a little cheaper.

Did you do any back to back testing of the power supplies? 

Thanks
I’ve had a Chord Qutest right now running on a battery in my system for the last two months. The battery reduces the noise floor of the Qutest and makes it sound smoother, but no less dynamic.

I just got a Denafrips Pontus II today which is currently still in the box. I like the sound of the Qutest especially when running off of the battery, but I’m wondering if the Pontus can retain perhaps 90-95% of the resolution that the Qutest provides while providing a warmer, more organic sound.

Tough to top @jjss49 in terms of his description.  At that level (<$2K), no question Chord is clearer (and brighter) than the R2R units that you have listed.  Neither good nor bad, really depends on the balance of your system and what you like best.  

There is no clear "best" solution.  R2R, FPGA and delta sigma solutions can all be brilliant. In the extreme, Esoteric (delta sigma), dCS (FPGA) and MSB (R2R) all make some of the worlds most expensive, and best sounding DACs.  Each has its proponents.  Each has its haters.  

In general it is true that FPGA DACs tend to be brighter but that is Chord and dCSs house sound.  PS Audio FPGA DACs tend to be much warmer depending on the OS.  R2Rs tend to be warmer but again, that is driven by house sound of the brands that use that tech.  There is nothing warm about the Rockna Wavedream Signature for instance as it is surprisingly neutral.  Delta sigmas run the gamut with output stage and implementation playing huge parts in terms of house sound.  Jadis vs. Esoteric vs. Ayre vs. Mytek are going to sound very different.

I have a bunch of DACs here and I am currently using a Chord DAC in my tube based system, a Rockna R2R with my Class D tube hybrid and a Musical Fidelity delta sigma in my  solid state system.  All are excellent and appropriate for the sound of the equipment they are paired with and my budget associated with each system.  

This is a very longwinded way of saying, if you need a warm DAC to balance your system, Chord is probably not the right choice.  Alternatively, if a dose of brightness will liven up your system and/or you want improved clarity, Chord all the way.