Are there any speakers for nearfield listening that sound GREAT at low volumes?

Back with another question.  I've set up a small system for my home office.  My large desk sits at a right angle to the right wall, and as a result there is about 6 feet behind the speakers.  My local audio store remains closed due to COVID, so I'm buying gear based from reviews, and 'sounds like' something I've heard in person.

I picked up a pair of Totem Acoustic Sky speakers here, and I have been a little underwhelmed with the sound.  I play my music at low or moderate volumes, so as not to disturb my wife in the other room.  Today she went to her sister's house so I turned them up a bit.  Wow!  Now they sounded every bit as good (or better) than what I was expecting!!  Just terrific!  When my wife got home I turned the volume down, and everything got much smaller in a hurry.  The specialness just disappeared when the volume went down.

So my two questions.  Are there are small monitors (appropriate for desktop nearfield listening) that have that 'special' quality at low volumes?  My listening set-up is only 36" between the center of woofers, and the same to my seated listening position.

Second question, would a sealed speaker perhaps be better sitting out away from any wall, as in my set-up?  Would an LS3/5A speaker perhaps be the best fit?  If so, how do they sound at low volumes?

Thanks for your help!
Ag insider logo xs@2xazkeith
Completely agree with bpoletti for the use of full range driver speakers for nearfield listening, otherwise the blend of 2 or more drivers won't happen perfectly at that distance.
unless it’s a coax...like a Vandersteen VLR.....perfectly coherent wave launch.....
My early (late 70's) Rogers Ls3/5a's were great @ low SPL's in the nearfield, but I never tried them that close together.

Here's something cheap/interesting and if you do a search you will find a couple of positive pro reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Arche-Audio-Loudspeaker-Semi-Horn-Loaded-Audiophile/dp/B07RWJXB1R

DeKay
 @azkeith 
Recently landed the KEF LS50 Wireless II for the work from home standing desk; Listening distance forms not quite an equilateral triangle- the monitor separates the speakers about 44" center to center, with head about 24" from the plane of the speakers; Prior to the KEFs I had Spendor A1; For an experiment I pulled the big rig electronics up and powered the A1's with them; It was a fun exercise, but the KEF's are superior across the board; Immediacy, low level detail, dynamics, and the bass response are all wonderful;  
 All needed are two AC wires to plug the speakers in- Iso Acoustic stands set them up about 8.5"; It's an honest to goodness high end sound in a tiny space; I did move the LS50 IIs in the typical hi-fi arrangement and the sound lost the most of the magic; I have never listened in the near field before and I think the key thing about the KEF's sounding so great is the axial driver design. They snap into coherence at very short throw distances from the front plane of the speaker cabinet; The upside of this is no other gear is necessary. The active electronics are excellent and the resulting sound at the ~$2,500 mark is astonishing; Good luck!