Ready, set, comment! Speaker cables don’t make a difference?

Audioholics will be doing another video on this at 4pm (I assume Eastern), today. Rather than comment on it after the fact, some here might want to jump into the live comments thread? Anyway, in case that’s you, here’s the link:https://youtu.be/kR12Ttuxobs

Old chestnuts never die, they just return in the Eternal Cycle of Re-roasting....
128x128hilde45
Oh my friends, speaker wires definitely can and does make a difference. The cable has to be able to deliver a clean signal with minimal loss and not pick up EMI noise along its journey. That means that the insulation can actually be more important than the wire. Stranded wires are always best because solid wire can cause something called skin effect where the signal path skirts around the outer surface of the wire only. The cables (L/R) should also be the same length. The time it takes the signal to get to the speaker should be the same. No I’m recommending that you run out and spend a bundle on a high tech set of speaker wires but a good high quality speaker cable will definitely make a difference.
In retrospect to the gauge of the wire.

Speaker Cable Distance vs Wire Gauge Guide

Speaker Impedance 25 ft 50 ft 100 ft
4 ohms 12AWG 10AWG 8AWG
8 ohms 14AWG 12AWG 10AWG
16 ohms 16AWG 14AWG 12AWG

Starwarrior
Thorens Td124/Mac Mc275/Mac C2700/Manley Massive Passive/Brennan B2
Wow! This thread hasn’t been shut down yet. That’s an accomplishment in itself. I’ll give it another 50 posts max. Can’t see the point in resurrecting something that’s been rehashed to death 1001 times, unless it’s clickbaii.

Every conceivable argument has already been posited multiple times on multiple forums.
That was 15 mins of my life that I won't get back

Here's my .02 cents

In this case Gene is actually, and to use his term, the snake oil salesman

And all his happy responders are the sheep he's leading right off the cliff

But he has one feeble arguement in this video that is actually right so we can't technically call BS here

Hear me out before ripping me a new one....

He measures the 3 cables and says the output in DB between them is so minute we can't possibly hear an audible difference

Which is true......but

What he's measuring, output DB, is a capability of the electronics not the cables and this is where we get to call BS on Gene and his sheep

So of course most any coat hanger can deliver the capabilities the electronics are designed to

In essence he's telling us spending money on cables will not playback any louder, no arguement

Again a design limitation of the electronics, not the cable

What he fails to compare, this is where his snake oil salesman shines

We don't invest in the cables with ANY expectation that our systems will play louder

What we get and expect is a broader dynamic range of the same material we've been playing for years, a more natural sound, vocals sound closer to the microphone, all of a sudden there's a casenet percussion that you've never heard, you can hear Jimmy Page drop the pick in The Rain Song on his Martin acoustic and finish the song finger picking, in a a capella you can now hear the vocalist inhale and take a breath etc etc

Adding a new cable weather it be speaker, IC or power doesn't play louder but it provides us much more musical information than we'll get using spooled cable or even Monster

One of the great pleasure for me when making a cable enhancement, vibration improvement, power improvement, it's allows me to hear the same tried and true music better and more complete to what the artist intended and was feeling.  It expands enjoyment past the music and rings me closer to the art

It's not the first time a heard the song but it's damn sure the first time I've heard it delivered with the additional enhancements and extensions

So each little tweak is almost an opportunity to enjoy the same material for the first time

Again guys just my .02 cents and that's another 20 mins of my life that I won't get back

Happy listening and as always enjoy the journey