Jazz listening: Is it about the music? Or is it about the sound?

The thread title says it all. I can listen to jazz recordings for hours on end but can scarcely name a dozen tunes.  My jazz collection is small but still growing.  Most recordings sound great.  On the other hand, I have a substantial rock, pop and country collection and like most of us, have a near encyclopedic knowledge of it.  Yet sound quality is all over the map to the point that many titles have become nearly unlistenable on my best system.  Which leads me back to my question: Is it the sound or the music?  Maybe it’s both. You’ve just got to have one or the other!
jdmccall56
I don't really need the answer to my question.  But to me though, it is an interesting question.  I think for me, it's mostly the sound.  With Jazz and classical, anyway.  Pop music?  Maybe it's both.  For you it may be mostly about the music.  And then there are no doubt many that would find it hard to separate the two.  It's all good. 

I just received some bad family news, so please excuse my absence from this thread.  Best wishes to all.
Both.... It's about the sound of the music.

I will say this about albums.
Since I got my Bob's Devices Sky 30 SUT, I've gone back and listened to some albums that just sounded dull, but now many of them seem like they have come to life. What I mean by that is the sound is more lively, the definition and the sound stage have gotten better. It made albums I didn't really care for, listenable. 
I am most impressed.