Help me complete my stereo system (Harbeth, ClearAudio Concept).

Hello Everyone,

I would like your help in completing my new 2 channel audio system.  My room is approximately (11ft X 14ft X 9ft ceiling) or about 42 square meters.  

I value good vinyl playback over streaming and CDs and listen mostly to small group jazz.  

I want to stay within a reasonable budget, so I'm focused on entry level components from high quality companies.  To give you an indication, I own a ClearAudio Concept with the Satisfy arm and MM cartridge.  

As far as speakers are concerned, it will be either the Harbeth P3ESR or Compact 7s.  I have auditioned both with expensive Accuphase amps and was blown away by the P3ESR, especially their natural, open sound and ability to fill a decent size room.  C7s struck me as less dynamic ... but let me know if those would be preferable considering my space and listening tastes.  

I am fairly certain that I will be favouring Solid State to drive the little Harbeth, and car analogy, realistically a well-tuned 4 cylinder turbo rather than a V8 with power to spare.  I plan to add a DAC for streaming and radio, more as a convenience than anything else (serious listening is always vinyl).  An onboard phono is preferred but not a deal breaker.  Speakers and stands to be considered separately.

Thanking everyone for their help and comments. 

juleman
@fjn04 
 There was a post I read that says the magic starts at 507. I can't comment on that, but would not discount the 550.

I was the one who made that comment, and realized that I should have included the 550 in the 'where the magic starts' boundary. I agree that the 550 is significantly better than the 505.
These are all great suggestions (Unison Research, CJ, Luxman 550).  At this time, I have to say that the 550 is very enticing (pure Class A).  

This said, I don't understand the hangup over 505, the build / layout look very similar to the other Class A/B amps in Luxman lineup, damping factor and voltage are in the same ballpark, until you get to the 509.  
Hi Everyone,

Received my pair of P3ESR SE in rosewood yesterday.  So here is a quick report :

- These are just first impressions :

1) My Creek Evo 50A can drive them but it will not make them sing.  They like power.  Alan Shaw is right they are not a hard pairing, they will play nicely, but if you pair a weaker/cheaper amp you won't get the full performance these speakers can deliver.  

2)  They sound a bit congested, the soundstage is not stable at this point, the bass response is changing right in the middle of a tune. I attribute all that to the fact that they need another 175 hours to break in.

3) The details, at least the ones that are showing up now, are lush, correct, detailed but non fatiguing, monitor-like but not sterile. 

4) They can handle power and provide sufficient volume to fill my space (11 X 14 X 9) with a clean, detailed, lush sound.  They will do this even more effortlessly and better with a class leading amp.

5)  As everybody knows, the mid-range is amazing and voices (I let my wife do the honours and she picked Joni) are life-like with lots of natural detail... some wet eyes followed...

6)  They love to be placed along the long wall of the room, wow ! ... but I need a way to sit in front of the fireplace to be in the sweet spot.

7) They are amazing for near field listening.

8)  These little speakers are worth the investment in better stands and cables. Integrated amps will be auditioned soon.

Best to everyone

@juleman -- congrats on owning one of the best mini-monitors in the business. They look even better in person compared to the pictures. In my case, it took well over 200 hours for the P3esr's to get to their most optimal level. The bass response will improve considerably after 200+ hours. Keep us posted on which amp you end up with. Good luck!