Borrowing equipment from dealers

So pretty much invariably when someone asks “can someone help me decide between a or b” be it amps, speakers, cartridges, etc., someone posts the suggestion to find a good dealer that will lend you whatever to try free in your home. So I ask do these dealers exist? I’m sure they do, but how many are there really?  Also some stories of borrowing equipment that lead you to a new discovery.
limbonner
From a dealer's standpoint, lending gear is lose-lose proposition
for them most of the time.  If you do not have a buying history with
the store It is unreasonable to even expect it I believe.

After all the retailer is not an A to Z Tool rental shop offering bullet-
proof, drop proof, idiot proof equipment. This poor fellow has one
one of each item you covet and fussy buyers who expect new mechandise to be "Flawless". Not open box, been around the horn stuff, right?

So if you as a buyer have:

A. Done your homework reading reviews/forums
B. Been to a store or a show to hear/see the item in question
C. Checked with a local Audiophile club's membership
for opinions/who owns one. No club in your area? Join one
somewhere that provides good information. Major payback
will come your way. 

After your due diligence:
You should feel certain enough to buy the item and have a trial/satisfaction period. 2 weeks is not enough to burn in most gear
for most people. 30 days is better. 

If you have something you carefully researched, buy it on a trial basis
and decide no on day 29, in my mind the freight should be on you.
Wear and tear should be on you. A 5% restocking fee is in line also.
You just "rented" something for 30 days after all. 

I do not own a store but have a retail background and sympathize
with their plight.
It is up to a dealer and what kind of relationship between the two. The thing is if you want to do it that way. Otherwise all above comments are valid.

G
It is all about relationships. I don't think any dealer is going to casually loan equipment to someone who just walks in the front door.

I've been an audiophile for decades and worked with a handful of dealers over the years. Each of them has been willing to loan me equipment for evaluation at home.
If you get the right to return for full refund (u pay return shipping) (not store credit), then research, buy, try, keep or return.

A. Done your homework reading reviews/forums

Reviews are good only to create a short list.  If you can even trust them, they tell you little or nothing about how it will sound with your equipment in your room.

B. Been to a store or a show to hear/see the item in question

This tells you even less, same reasons above.  Plus, a good dealer will optimize the equipment choices to show off the component in its best light.  This is not a bad thing, but you can then spend a lot of time and money trying to recreate that sound in your room, and may never be able to achieve it.

C. Checked with a local Audiophile club's membership
for opinions/who owns one.

Again, opinions tell you nothing, unless the members are willing to lend you the item.

There is simply no substitute for some form of in home audition.