New-ish to Audiogon Forums... Is it always like this?

I have been trying to be more involved in the forums over the last couple weeks, and I'm noticing a trend already. It seems that when someone asks for a recommendation for a piece of equipment, they provide little to no room/system context. In a couple threads, I've asked the OP to provide more information, such as system information, preferences, requirements, and the like, and ended not getting much more information. The thread ends up being a running list of members' favorite gear, whether it really helps the OP or not. Is this the norm? If so, I'll probably stop trying to be more involved.
128x128daveman2
It's funny how the various websites for audio have different cultures. I really like Audiogon, but lately I've been reading a lot on Audio Science Review and enjoy the different perspective. Those folks aren't likely to tout high end speaker cables and the various tweaks found on Audiogon, rather they are measurements people with little patience for things that can't be measured. They also tend to be big on class D amps, A/B amps and not so big on class A and tube audio.
It can get really bad when an OP asks an open-ended question that the posters feel is disingenuous.
@sbank @whart  well there is doctorate in wisdom :-) appreciated and insightful.
Bob - I also miss Al

to the OP they nailed it. Find people you would invest a chunk of your life talking with, listening to and respect from conduct. ... oh, and try to be that person yourself...

I aim, I fail, hopefully I learn, repeat

Jim