New-ish to Audiogon Forums... Is it always like this?

I have been trying to be more involved in the forums over the last couple weeks, and I'm noticing a trend already. It seems that when someone asks for a recommendation for a piece of equipment, they provide little to no room/system context. In a couple threads, I've asked the OP to provide more information, such as system information, preferences, requirements, and the like, and ended not getting much more information. The thread ends up being a running list of members' favorite gear, whether it really helps the OP or not. Is this the norm? If so, I'll probably stop trying to be more involved.
128x128daveman2
Thanks for the additional, thoughtful replies. @sbank - reading through your list of user types, I cringe to think that I sometimes fall into the wrong category. Honestly, I’m personally still learning how to interact online, in the most positive and meaningful way. It’s odd that it is so different than talking in person. You’d think that it would come "naturally" but it takes some getting used to. EDIT - maybe it's just me.
@mapman

yes, at audio circle there are notably fewer trolls and time wasters, manufacturers are clearly labelled as such, mods do not tolerate negativity and stamp it out 

@sbank

haha spencer... great descriptions... you must be in consumer marketing as a profession!!!
I’ll go out on a limb and say the reason for the difference between here and audio circle is this site is here primarily to sell stuff and make money...the forum is in support of that and pretty much anything goes, as long as no laws get broken.

@daveman2 you're clearly on your way, stay positive. There are plenty here happy to help you. 

@mapman good question! My overly simplied take:

audionirvana and whatsbestforum - the wealthy will enjoy them most. audionirvana does have many former & current knowledgeable Agoners, especially about analog.

asylum - seems like hardly anyone participates any more

audiophilestyle (was computeraudiophile) - lots of digital-specific knowledge from some. Plenty of trolls & fights too. Many less experienced with much outside of desktop & headphone rigs.

ASR - subjectivists (aka listeners) need not apply. 

For me, Audiogon is still the best overall. Sure there are warts, but we've got @whart. Cheers,
Spencer