New-ish to Audiogon Forums... Is it always like this?

I have been trying to be more involved in the forums over the last couple weeks, and I'm noticing a trend already. It seems that when someone asks for a recommendation for a piece of equipment, they provide little to no room/system context. In a couple threads, I've asked the OP to provide more information, such as system information, preferences, requirements, and the like, and ended not getting much more information. The thread ends up being a running list of members' favorite gear, whether it really helps the OP or not. Is this the norm? If so, I'll probably stop trying to be more involved.
128x128daveman2
many of the comments made are accurate and insightful

i would only further add that this is an open forum, there is no qualification checking or needed to post... so as said earlier one needs to hang out here enough and understand (and research, via past posts) who the poster of any particular comment is

you can see how many posts a member has, for each comment posted, then you can click ’details’ of the username, see their history of trading gear, their feedback score, and importantly, whether they list a ’system’ with photos of it

there are some famous/infamous folks here who are provocative, seem to live here with no other meaningful life activity, been kicked out for their bad behavior, then come back repeatedly under new usernames... this classic ’troll’ pattern is
-- 'joined date' just 2-3 months ago
-- over 1.000 posts in that short time
-- zero history or user feedback as equipment trader
-- no system listed no photos
-- yet post after post, denigrating, arguing, being a ’know it all’
@jjss49 Great callouts! It certainly helps to consider the posters when weighing their comments. Having been here since the beginning, over time I've developed a few subconscious categories that help me sift through replies:
- lifers - those who've been here and on other audio forums for the long haul chiming in usefully based on experience with the issues/gear on topic
- promoting pros - dealers and occasionally others that blatantly or discreetly push their wares
- insider angels - manufacturers & other insiders that put the poster's needs above their own short term profits (more please!)
- promoting lemmings - those who often with limited experience promote what they own to reconfirm their decisions
- emerging enthusiasts - want and deserve knowledge to further their journey
- surface scratchers - newbies as described by the OP, asking overly simple questions, expecting nirvana on a silver platter in 180 characters or less, and often too lazy to accept that "it depends"
- zealots - angry believers focused on their preferences (digital/analog subjective/objective or tube/ss)
- everybody else 
Here's to more angel behavior, deep interest and enthusiasm...cheers,
Spencer  
Thanks for the additional, thoughtful replies. @sbank - reading through your list of user types, I cringe to think that I sometimes fall into the wrong category. Honestly, I’m personally still learning how to interact online, in the most positive and meaningful way. It’s odd that it is so different than talking in person. You’d think that it would come "naturally" but it takes some getting used to. EDIT - maybe it's just me.
@mapman

yes, at audio circle there are notably fewer trolls and time wasters, manufacturers are clearly labelled as such, mods do not tolerate negativity and stamp it out 

@sbank

haha spencer... great descriptions... you must be in consumer marketing as a profession!!!