Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
This is one the best recording of one of THE greatest Symphony’s , it seems little heard .Certainly the most coherent !

https://youtu.be/hVS1OsA2h8o?t=2

My fave Orchestra is the Bavarian Radio Symphony and has been
for about 30 Years, In all that time never heard a blip.

Check this small clip with  wonderful early 6-8 Haydn Symphony's which every real music aficionado should hear.
They where written when Haydn wrote what he wanted , not what
his master wanted to hear . How sad can that be !

https://youtu.be/bqcVD0od1rc?t=1
Rvpiano, that Zander disk also has both versions of the last movement, the original version with the three hammer blows and the final with two.  I think one of the stories about why it was changed was that Mahler the conductor so identified with the hero in the symphony that he couldn't bear to hit him with the third hammer blow, so he took it out.  Don't know if it's true but it makes a fun story.  Many, if not all, of the Telarc discs of Mahler symphonies have commentary by Zander, making them worth seeking out.
rcprince,

Yes, I believe that story to be true.

I have to look for more Zander Telarc discs
He is a very astute commentator.