Need preamp suggestion

My Krell home theatre pre developed static noise and the repair bill is expensive, so I want to get a new one that sounds at least as good. I am listening to the system with an inexpensive Adcom pre, and the Krell sounds considerably better in many ways - open, dynamic, bigger and more realistic.

Are there pre amps that are a good match for Krell Power amp, that sound as good or better, for a good affordable price?

I also have McIntosh separates and enjoy the sound, but the Krell combo sounds more modern, liquid, and transparent.

I am looking for those qualities.

Big thanks for your words of experience in advance...

gongli3
I have a Mark Levinson no. 28 since fall, and I am very satisfied with it. I used to have Promitheus TVC passive attenuators (transformers, EI cores, separate L and R passive preamps), I was quite content, yet ML proved to be a big subjective improvement.
I see Mickeyb is still thinking his Realistic $99.00 receiver is considered high end! LOL
Hello,
My closest Hifi store in the Chicagoland area has an older equivalent to the current Electrocompaniet ec4.8. I do not know the model. I think it is under $1400. I would take it for myself but it does not have HT pass through. It’s full balanced. With the box, remote, and the manual. It is beautiful to look at. Here is the link to my local store. https://holmaudio.com/
They are also a Nordost and Straightwire dealer in case you want to upgrade your power cord or interconnects. 
The tandberg 3008a pre amplifier is the best solid state preamplifier you can buy for the money used around 800 dollars you will not be disappointed.
Used Ayre K-5xeMP for about your $2k budget. Balanced, open, HT pass through if needed, just outstanding for any price.