Most rooms don’t need acoustical treatment.

Why?  Because acoustical treatments presented are in virtually empty rooms. Unrealistic.

my rooms have furniture and clutter.  These rooms don’t really have a need for treatment.  It’s snake oil, voodoo science.  
So why is accoustical panels gonna help?  No one can answer this, most have no clue.
jumia
Sum all untreated rooms and they average out to have random placements of objects made of random materials.

Ampa style setups need close to nothing. No back wall and tapered side walls and ceiling, no reflection points..

Setting up kitty corner, eliminates a lot of the normal treatment ideas and again the reflection points diminish. Room decay rates are much quicker.

Clutter counts :-) There are ways to reduce the UGLY as$ wall treatments diffusers, dust collecting stuff. Foam is hard to keep clean.

CURTIANS work and look the best to me..

It's easy to tune a room and liven it up just a bit with a curtain pulled open or closed a little more.. No studio looks for me.. 

Regards
"So why is accoustical panels gonna help?"   

Are trying to say :

So, why are acoustical panels going to help ?

Truth, but only if you want to justify your room multipurpose optimisation. However, if you have dedicated room for critical listening, the room where you want to dissolve in your music without distracting factors, you’ll need treatment.