DAC/w Volume control + Power amp or DAC + Integrated?

Doing lots of research for complete new set up from the scratch but very confused about DAC /w volume control section. 
Does the Volume control mean actually a preamp section? So a DAC + Preamp all-in-one box? 
Or are there any DAC with pure simple volume control knob exist? 

One of the systems I am eyeing on is LTA Ultralinear power amp. Source is digital only (Qobuz, local files network streaming via Chromecast audio to DAC via optical, for now) so I may not need separate Pre-amplifier. 

There are couple of options.
1) DAC /w built in volume control + UL Power amp
2) pure DAC + Standalone Volume controller + UL Power amp
3) pure DAC + UL integrated amplifier

Which one is the best setup SQ wise? Or Cost-Performance?

Built in volume control affects sound quality of the DAC? 

Is UL Integrated inferior to power amp by a margin?

I would like to go simple as possible because of limited funds (DAC & Amp for < $9k) so assume that going from DAC to Power amp directly is the way to go. All used gear will be more than welcome.

Regards

Arron

czar2000
Another recent convert here for DAC direct to power amp. I much prefer it at least with my RME. In the past with and old Wyred 4 Sound I didn't really care for it but I dont think at the time I got into the sweet spot on the volume without getting too loud with the setup I had at the time.

George hifi makes a lot of sense with what he keeps bringing up that as long as you can run the DACs volume high enough to prevent bit stripping the only thing a preamp can do is degrade the signal. Obviously a preamp can also add flavoring you may prefer. 
George hifi makes a lot of sense with what he keeps bringing up that as long as you can run the DACs volume high enough to prevent bit stripping the only thing a preamp can do is degrade the signal.
Not just me saying it, but in so many words also Nelson Pass, if you to use a passive pre to pre-set the level, if the digital volume is too low and "bit stripping", then it can be used in the top 1/3rd if you pre-set the level with the passive pre.

Nelson Pass: On Passive preamps
"What could be better? Hardly any noise or distortion added by these simple passive parts. No feedback, no worrying about what type of capacitors – just musical perfection.

And yet there are guys out there who don’t care for the result. “It sucks the life out of the music”, is a commonly heard refrain (really - I’m being serious here!). Maybe they are reacting psychologically to the need to turn the volume control up compared to an active preamp."

Cheers George
There are integrated amplifiers that have a passive preamp stage. I believe this to be true with at least some of the Line Magnetic (tube) and Pass (SS) integrateds. 

I also would be hesitant to use a passive like the SYS with an amplifier of the quality of the LTA. There are superior passive units available.

I currently have an all digital system based on a DAC having a tube output stage feeding an active tube preamp into a SS amplifier. I often consider going back to an integrated amplifier. There are so many very good ones available.  

I guess I am saying that I do appreciate your situation. I have been taking advantage of the used market to explore these options. Buying and selling quality components at fair prices for the learning experience. If done right adds flavor to this hobby.

Good luck in your endeavor.