Cheap hearing aids?

I'm thinking of trying non prescription items . Anyone w experience?
ptss
ptss, I have the Widex Evoke 440.  They have programs for your phone that include an equilizer and volume for each ear that are adjustable as you listen, to fine tune them for music.  At the time I purchased them 18 months ago, my research indicated they had among the widest frequency range and among the widest dynamics.  I got an audiogram from a local audiologist, sent it to Hearsource.com where I purchased them, and saved a couple thousand dollars on the price of buying them locally.  Hearsource can also give you free periodic checkups and re-program them remotely as your hearing changes.  I have no connection to them except a satisfied client.
Yes, you bet. They are terrible. The problem is that they amplify all frequencies and the vast majority of people have deficits at high frequencies only. Bad hearing aids make noisy situations like restaurants worse. The best hearing aids are DSP controlled and adjusted so they only amplify the frequencies that are down.
Bose made a product called "HearPhones" that were wonderful but for some reason they discontinued them. My older patients with hearing loss loved them. They were strongly directional noise canceling ear buds that had adjustable frequency response. We could do a hearing test and adjust the Bose accordingly. They cost $500. 
mijostyn, I believe they were $3,500, versus $5,500 at the ENT Dr.'s office.  The Widex Moment that hifijunkey bought, and linked to the reviews in his earlier post, is a newer model and was not available when I bought mine.  Of course the ENT Dr.'s office needs to charge a lot more to cover their costs for follow up service, business expenses, etc. versus an internet based business.
Wow. Thanks guys! Went to Audiologist today. Luckily hearing loss similar each ear. Will receive a copy of graph monday. Down about 20 in rt ear from 250 to 3000. Down 30 in left. Down 40 at 4000. Then dives down to minus 80 at 6,7 and only down 65 at 8, limit of test.  Not pleased with technician.  Said only latest n greatest aids can help. Your inputs are encouraging. Folliwing up next week. Will go for another test at different company. This one was pushing Oticon. Cheers to all !