Technics moving all turntable production to Malaysia

I haven’t seen this reported anywhere. Heard it first from a dealer and now have confirmed it with Technics directly:

All turntables, even the SL-1000R, are leaving Japan and moving to a new facility in Malaysia. Everything’s going under one roof. Technics is halted now and they’ll start up the new production line in Malaysia on April 1. 

If the product is the same then that’s what matters most, but this definitely marks the end of an era and I’m sure the reaction will be mixed.
notman
Just because the labor is cheaper does not mean that it is less competent.  
No argument from me there. The move is notable to me because Technics has been so synonymous with Japan specifically. I don’t think people expected them to relaunch like they did a few years back, and definitely not to relaunch then abandon Japan altogether even for the highest end stuff.
This means that it will no longer be fully Japanese. I would probably still buy it if I had to but with less enthusiasm even if the quality remained the same. Bad move.
With Inna on this one.  I own both the new 1200GR (made in Japan) and the 1500C (made in Malaysia).  They are both well made.  Admittedly, it was the 'made in Japan' badge that made me psyched about buying the 1200, among other things.  I like the look of DJ style turntables and new production 1200 TTs meant not having to deal with all the Super OEM knock-offs (Hanpin) that are offered by a dozen or so companies.

Hopefully it all works out.  I remember from 5 or so years ago, Panasonic did a similar move to a new off-shore billion dollar facility with its LCD production and then has been closing down most of its production ever since.

Rich