If your were to assemble a vintage system ?

Let’s say you were going to put together a vintage system and your source was primarily vinyl. Your price limit is $1500. What would it be? 
Make it as musical as possible. Super detail or thunderous bass isn’t going to be very high on the list. My first thought would be a 70’s Marantz receiver (50ish wpc is more than adequate) an 80’s AR table, and any iteration of a Vandersteen 2C that didn’t bust the budget. 

Could easily also swap in a Pioneer SX750 instead of a Marantz. 
Cartridge? Not sure- might actually go with something modern/current. AT or Nagaoka 

what would you put together? 
128x128zavato
Go for a used rega table with a dynavector 10x5 into a vintage integrated amp like a harman kardon or a tandberg with a vintage american speaker made prior to 1979 by a big maker jbl, altec, electrovoice, or dahlquist.
   If you go vintage especially amp/receiver have it thoroughly inspected and replace any old/tired electronic components. In the 70's, I bought a Pioneer SX850. It suited my needs back then. When the tuner stopped working (no big deal since vinyl was my preference) it played on. Eventually, it died. Rather than repair I moved on. In those "Japanese dominated market days" Sansui had an edge over most. The best I heard back then was a Dynaco a friend had built from one of their kits. Smoked all the others.

A sansui integrated, a pioneer pl series turntable with a Shute v15 cart, large advents. 1500 will be close. It would sound decent for sure. 
I’ve purchased a pair of QUAD ESL-63s, a QUAD 44 preamp and a 405-2 power amp. All I need is to buy a mid 80s vintage turntable and I’ll have my vintage system. I’d love to get a J A Michell...
we have a room plus for that...

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7106

enjoy

while i do have a vintage Grace cartridge, the Hana ML gets most of the work.....

enjoy the music and the journey 

Jim